TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We are currently accepting applications for an early to mid-career level System Administrator to provide support to our Controls and Operations Groups related to Control System use. You will provide support for installation, maintenance and user support of Linux file servers, operator consoles, developer workstations, control system computing components, and other systems. Your other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining a program of upgrades, backups and security management of computing resources
- Providing hardware support and maintaining hardware support inventory
- Liaising with experimenters and operators for support of operationally critical computing systems
As our ideal candidate, you are able to meet deadlines independently within a group setting and have excellent written communication skills. You also have the ability to identify new trends and technologies that will contribute to Controls Group objectives and have strong diagnostic and troubleshooting skills. Your other qualifications include:
- In-depth knowledge of the Linux Operating System, and competency in Linux hosted virtualization in VMware and KVM environments
- Knowledge of relevant network protocols and systems and PC hardware installation and configuration skills
- A practical understanding of TCP/IP and Ethernet networking concepts, and networking hardware and cabling
- A BSc in a related program and at least 5 years relevant experience after graduation
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: 748
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: November 29, 2019
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.