TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
At TRIUMF, we operate rf systems over multiple accelerator platforms including both room temperature and superconducting technologies. High performance particle accelerators require advanced RF installations with control of phase and amplitude stability governed by low level rf (LLRF) systems. Recently, we have decided to move our legacy hybrid (analog/digital) LLRF systems to fully digital technology and developing the new digital LLRF control will come with significant challenges. In addition, the LLRF system for TRIUMF’s newly installed high power (100kW) continuous wave (CW) superconducting electron linac is also being developed, and our e-linac operates with one klystron driving two cavities in vector which adds to the complexity.
We are currently accepting applications for a tenure-track Research Scientist to join the LLRF group and provide physics and engineering support in system analysis and integration, and to pursue an independent research program in LLRF with a focus on the TRIUMF accelerators. Some of the specific expected responsibilities include:
- Supporting reliable operation of the LLRF systems and operation, including troubleshooting and operator and expert training
- Providing non-linear control system analysis
- Developing new LLRF systems and algorithms, including new TRIUMF projects and ‘work for others’ external projects
- Securing research funding through grant applications and mentoring students in research activities
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
Applicants for this position must possess:
- A PhD in applied science or engineering, with at least 2 years of relevant LLRF experience after graduation
- A sound knowledge of LLRF principles, linear and non-linear control theory, software programming, and the principles of rf systems and low noise electronics
- A demonstrated ability to troubleshoot LLRF systems, and to design new systems
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and technical writing skills
- Excellent relationship building skills, and the ability to function effectively in a team environment
This is a full-time TRIUMF Board Appointed tenure-track appointment and is considered equivalent to a faculty position at a Canadian university. This appointment will be at the equivalent rank of an Associate Scientist.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high-profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: 743
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
- Statement of research accomplishments and interests
- Arrange for at least 3 referrers to submit reference letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closing date: January 15, 2020
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.