TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We are currently accepting applications for an intermediate Electrical Engineer to join TRIUMF and provide engineering support on electrical matters, electrical design to site users, and ensure day-to-day safe and reliable operations of the site electrical infrastructures. Your main responsibilities will be focus on design, installation coordination, and the maintenance and operations of electrical equipment and fire alarm and lighting systems. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engaging in engineering studies, modeling and analysis to enable feasibility, costs and schedules, especially as it relates to carrying load flow, short circuit and arc flash
- Trouble-shooting system and equipment failures, and assisting in the implementation of equipment testing and inspection
- Maintaining clear and effective design and engineering documentation, and preparing and maintaining written procedures for existing and new systems
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you have thorough knowledge of electrical power system engineering, analysis, and safety, electrical circuits, and EMI and electrical fields. You are self-directed and show ingenuity and engineering creativity when addressing unique engineering problems. You also have strong problem solving and interpersonal skills, and a demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team. Your other qualifications include:
- Demonstrated working knowledge of design criteria and methodology, construction methods and techniques, instrumentation and tools, controls as applied to electrical and electromechanical systems, and energy system analysis and modeling
- Familiarity with the Canadian Electrical Code, Arc Flash standards and practices, and Short Circuit calculation and analysis
- A demonstrated working competency in electro-technology engineering
- Knowledge and experience of engineering tools such as SKM, Easy power, DraftSight, and SolidWorks
- Sound engineering judgement and demonstrated organizational, planning and prioritization skills
- A bachelor’s degree in electrical engineer combined with at least 5 years or relevant professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and training
- Eligibility to register as a P.Eng in the province of British Columbia
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: 740
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: November 4, 2019
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.