Community Planner - Fort McMurray
About the Opportunity
Do you want to be key in continuing to make the Wood Buffalo region a strong vibrant community? Do you have a passion for creating strong relationships?
In 2018 Urban Systems established our professional practice in Fort McMurray and we are now looking for an experienced Community Consultant to join our team. We currently serve a variety of Indigenous communities and businesses, municipal clients, land developers and the private sector throughout the North-Eastern Alberta region. We’re looking for someone who brings leadership, energy and dedication to the work they do and the communities they serve.
The right fit for this role is someone who has demonstrated experience, entrepreneurial drive, and passion and will:
- Support and co-lead the continued growth of our professional practice in the local market;
- Act as a client leader, developing new and deepening existing client relationships while strengthening our market position; and
- Connect with and leverage the in-house expertise of our broader professional practitioners, working in concert to deliver projects with outstanding service.
While a professional designation (planning or engineering) is ideal, we are primarily looking for an individual with a local network and a proven consulting track record. The right candidate for this opportunity will have a minimum of five years of relevant consulting and/or professional local experience and a proven history of working alongside communities, keeping service and client needs at the forefront.
In addition, the following attributes, skills, and experience are considered a great benefit to this role:
- Proven project leadership skills with interdisciplinary teams;
- Commitment to being local and a resident in the Fort McMurray region (you currently reside in Fort McMurray or are open to relocating back to Fort McMurray);
- A broad understanding of community finance, governance, planning, and engineering systems;
- Ability to think strategically about the services that we can offer any type or size of community;
- Self-starter and motivator who is interested in continuing to develop our external service offerings with existing and new clients;
- An aptitude for problem solving, researching and analyzing information, and clearly communicating the results in verbal or written format;
- Ability to thrive in a self-directed work environment. You take initiative and continually deliver consistent, high quality work;
- Passionate about working closely with Indigenous communities and local governments to provide innovative and ‘out of the box’ solutions that fit the client’s needs;
- Suitability for consulting, as shown by:
- Actively listening to others to develop and nurture positive interpersonal relationships with people from any background, including colleagues and clients;
- Generating practical solutions to problems in a collaborative work environment;
- Working hard to deliver service and value to communities;
- Ability to interface with clients, demonstrate Urban’s capabilities, work with the client to refine their needs; and prepare proposals and work plans that include budgets and schedules;
- Comfort level engaging private and public sector clients, all levels of governments, approval and regulatory agencies, Indigenous communities, utility companies, and other key stakeholders;
- Ability to utilize and grow your professional network in order to leverage existing services and teams to develop solutions for a client.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where dedicated work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: December 10, 2018