Research Associate - Green Catalysis Research Group, Schulich School of Engineering
The Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering in the Schulich School of Engineering invites applications for a Research Associate - Green Catalysis Research Group. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately one year (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Principal Investigator (PI), the research associate in Green Catalysis Research Group (GCRG) will be collaborating on operating and maintaining complex technical equipment, performing experiments, analyzing results, preparing manuscript, report, and presentation drafts, writing proposal, and providing guidance to other undergraduate and graduate students in the group.
The majority of the work is expected to be completed during normal working hours (8:30 to 4:30) to a maximum of 35 hours per week. There is a possibility that the incumbent will be required to work outside these normal working hours.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
· Responsible for organic synthesis, evaluation, and its physical and chemical properties measurement using analytical instruments
· Provide junior group member direction and training on proper operating procedures in the lab
· Responsible for safe and proficient operation of research labs that includes full responsibility for all high sensitive analysis equipment as well as provides periodic maintenance and technical support
· Help PI maintaining a good financial circumstance for the group through keeping track of all the research expenditures
· Provide professional recommendation to the PI for new group member recruitment
· Responsible for experimental results interpretation and dissemination in a format of progress report submitted to the sponsor, conference paper, invention disclosure, and peer-reviewed journal article
· Develop standard operation protocol of analytical instruments in the lab
· Responsible for lab equipment maintenance and troubleshooting
· Assist students, staff and faculty in planning, design, procurement, installation, operation, modification and repair of all research units and analysis equipment
· Ensure all safety, fire and health regulations are implemented in the labs and must also maintain records of equipment and chemicals stored in the labs
Qualifications / Requirements:
· Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or related fields
· 5- 8 years of relevant R&D or work experience in research institute and company is required. Industrial working experience is an asset.
· Thorough knowledge and creative application of fundamental scientific and engineering principles, with strong background in chemical process
· Strong background and proven track record in recruiting and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students or lab technicians
· Proficient in organic synthesis, characterization, and performance evaluation
· Creative problem-solving and strong critical thinking skills
· Strong expertise in developing industry acceptable analytical protocol for product quality control
· Understanding of technical and economic implications of novel process technologies on industrial processes, with cost estimation experience desirable
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization as well as other researchers
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and within team environments is essential
· Experience in the scientific method of planning, developing, reviewing and reporting experiments
· Skills in Process engineering especially in environmental technologies and energy systems
· Knowledge of First Aid and understanding of fire and safety, transport of dangerous goods and WHMIS certification is also an asset
· Ability to react and to think quickly in crisis and emergency situations
Application Process: Applications will be accepted until December 24, 2018. View full job posting and to apply https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Schulich School of Engineering visit Careers in the Schulich School of Engineering.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada