- City of Toronto
- Salary Range: $102,029.20 - $119,883.40 per year
- 2312279 X
- Job Category
- Job Type
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Engineer within our Engineering & Construction Services Division, which provides specialized services such as engineering design, construction management, development engineering review, and engineering and control surveying.
This 12-month temporary, full-time position would be a great career move for an experienced civil engineer whose technical expertise is complemented by a proven ability to achieve results in a multi-stakeholder environment.
As a Senior Engineer in Development Engineering, you will act as a case manager in the review of development applications made under the Planning Act, including official plan amendments, secondary plans, subdivisions, re-zonings, land divisions, site plans and condominium proposals. This role also involves representing Development Engineering on cross-divisional teams in support of large city-building programs such as Waterfront Toronto's Port Lands Flood Protection Enabling Infrastructure.
Your primary responsibilities as a Senior Engineer will be varied, but you’ll be expected to:
- Manage assigned projects from inception to completion.
- Review, and recommend approval of, the scope and cost of all new City infrastructure required to support proposed developments.
- Provide detailed comments and technical review of engineering proposals, including engineering drawings, studies, reports and contracts, utilizing expertise in standard engineering principles and practices to ensure compliance with City policies, standards, and by-laws.
- Coordinate and review comments, correspondence, and sign-off from various City works departments.
- Ensure applicable permits and approvals are secured, as required, from internal divisions and external agencies.
- Review municipal infrastructure-related conditions for agreements, including Easements, Subdivision, Zoning, Site Plan, Consent, etc.
- Recommend approval of proposed engineering plans and studies.
- Ensure that the assigned work is reviewed and commented on within the prescribed timelines and in compliance with applicable City protocols and staff directives.
- Provide oversight and direction to inspection staff to ensure the work complies with the agreed-upon requirements and to facilitate any required changes.
- Establish and maintain linkages to other units in the City to coordinate input and ensure effective partnerships.
- Liaise and maintain relationships with councillors, the public, consultants, government agencies, developers, contractors and stakeholders related to assigned projects.
- Manage assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and maintenance of related data.
- Administer all securities and financial matters related to applications.
- Prepare Council reports and briefing notes on various issues pertaining to assigned work and associated municipal infrastructure.
- Perform site inspections and assessments of changed conditions on construction projects.
- Oversee the coordination, inspection, and enforcement of site activities in compliance with accepted designs, City policies and by-laws.
- Represent the Division at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors.
- Represent the Division as a technical specialist at project, committee, and organizational meetings with planners, administrators, contractors and other external service providers, as well as providing expert testimonies at hearings, and court proceedings.
- Assist with, and conduct, research, ensuring the best practices, corporate policies, developments within the field, legislation, and initiatives by other municipalities and other levels of government are taken into account.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technological developments in the field of municipal engineering.
- Assist the manager in the review of various divisional procedures, practices and directives.
- Prepare estimates to aid the manager in the preparation of the budget.
- Oversee and evaluate the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeline, cost, and completion of required tasks.
Your application for the role of Senior Engineer must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) (i.e. discipline of Civil Engineering).
- Extensive experience in the development engineering field and applying the principles of engineering in the design and/or engineering review of design submissions.
- Extensive experience in preparing and/or reviewing reports, studies, contracts and drawings submitted in support of development applications.
- Extensive project management experience in a municipal engineering environment (i.e. management of land development applications, including construction of municipal infrastructure and negotiating technical requirements and agreements).
- Extensive experience in managing and coordinating large complex projects involving many stakeholders.
- Experience in preparing and/or reviewing servicing and stormwater management reports, in support of development projects and/or applications.
- Considerable knowledge of stormwater management principles and techniques.
- Ability to meet deadlines and other key performance indicators.
- Extensive knowledge of the application of a variety of legislation (i.e. the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Planning Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act).
- Considerable knowledge in the application of engineering theory, principles, and practices related to design and construction of municipal infrastructure.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and problem-solve effectively.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures and standards governing contract administration.
- Proficiency in the use of various computer software (i.e. Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Adobe Acrobat).
- Must possess a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence and may require daily access to a vehicle to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely manner.
- Ability to read, interpret, and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports and other documents in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing at all organizational levels and convey technical information to a variety of audiences.
- Highly developed interpersonal, problem-solving and team work skills and customer service orientation.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with colleagues, internal stakeholders, and external clients, including consultants, contractors, developers, utility companies, elected officials, and the general public.
- Ability to plan, supervise, and direct the work of assigned staff members.
Salary Range: $102,029.20 - $119,883.40 per year
If this temporary position becomes permanent, it may not be reposted.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2312279 X, by October 26, 2018.
Accommodation: If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting job ID #2312279 X and the job classification title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.
More search results
Senior SEM Engineer
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation
Electrical Engineering Technican
Zef Scientific Inc.
Senior SEM Supervisor/Inspector
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation
CAD Technician [2D and 3D]
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation
Associate Vice President Facilities / Vice-rectri…
University of Ottawa / Université d'Ottawa