Manager, Water Treatment & Solid Waste Facilities
- City of Toronto
- $109,600.40 - $128,765.00 / Year
- Job Category
- Job Type
Manager, Water Treatment & Solid Waste Facilities
Job Classification Title MANAGER DESIGN & CONSTRUC MAJ INFRASTRUC
Requisition # 2309732 X
Division Engineering & Construction Services
Section Major Infrastructure
Work Location METRO HALL, 55 JOHN ST
Job Stream Engineering
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $109,600.40 - $128,765.00 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Wage Grade 8
Job Code (PSG) TM2181
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 21-Aug-2018
Expiry date 16-Sep-2018
The City of Toronto provides a comprehensive benefits package, including pension, amounting to an additional 26% on base salary
Bring your passion for municipal infrastructure construction to the City's Engineering and Construction Services Division as the Manager of the Water Treatment and Solid Waste Facilities Unit.
This position is ideally suited to a highly motivated Professional Engineer with demonstrated project and people management experience, who has excellent communication skills, and who is looking for the opportunity to take a lead role delivering essential municipal infrastructure that serves the City of Toronto's residents, businesses and visitors.
Reporting to the Director of the Major Infrastructure Section, the Manager Design & Construction Major Infrastructure (Water Treatment & Solid Waste Facilities) provides the technical, financial, and administrative oversight needed to effectively and successfully deliver capital projects at the City’s R.C. Harris, F.J. Horgan, R.L. Clark and Island water treatment plants, and at various solid waste transfer stations and closed landfill sites within the City and within the Greater Toronto Area.
Major Responsibility Highlights
Leading a team of engineers and project managers, the Manager of the Water Treatment and Solid Waste Facilities Unit is responsible for:
Effective Leadership of Technical Staff
- Manage, motivate and train the Unit’s staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, and continuous learning.
- Provide oversight and appropriate allocation of staff and financial resources; and ensure effective project management with respect to scope, schedule and administrative requirements for projects undertaken by the Unit.
- Cultivate a culture of continuous improvement and innovation within the Major Infrastructure Water Treatment and Solid Waste Facilities Unit, evaluating program delivery on an ongoing basis in consultation with staff, senior management, service users, clients and partners with the goal of improving effectiveness and efficiency.
- Contribute to the continuous review and relevancy of key performance indicators for the Unit. Responsible for monitoring and regular reporting, including key performance indicators and assigned performance targets, on the capital program and projects delivered by the Major Infrastructure Water Treatment and Solid Waste Facilities Unit.
Expertise Constructing Municipal Works
- Provide technical expertise, and oversee the execution of environmental assessment studies and the planning, design and construction of multidisciplinary engineering projects associated with the City’s water treatment plants and systems, solid waste management facilities, including transfer stations, and other major infrastructure.
- Oversee and provide input and quality assurance on project constructability, conformance with City of Toronto standards, and compliance with all health and safety regulations and approvals/permits from regulatory authorities.
- Guide the delivery of multi-year projects and programs through various delivery models, including conventional design-bid-build, design-build and program management.
Exacting Financial Oversight and Management
- Develop, recommend and administer the annual budget for the Unit, and ensure that the Unit’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Lead the negotiations of contractual terms and conditions, and the finalization of agreements with consultants, contractors and design-build consortia.
- Authorize and ensure the accurate and proper preparation of progress payments, and documentation and justification for change orders to consultants and contractors; and the issuance of substantial performance and completion certificates to contractors.
Polished Customer Focus, Relationship Building and Political Acuity
- Provide input to the development of the Capital Programs for Toronto Water and the Solid Waste Management Services Division to address rehabilitation, reconstruction and expansion needs for the City’s water treatment systems; solid waste management facilities; and other major infrastructure.
- Prepare technical reports and staff reports to Standing Committees and/or Council, and material for public education/communication purposes, and represent the Division/Cluster/Corporation at meetings with the public, clients, stakeholders, Councillors and their staff, Standing Committees, Community Councils, City Council, court proceedings, and on internal and external committees.
- Ensure excellent customer service is provided to both internal and external customers.
A complete list of all major responsibilities is available here:
The successful candidate for the position of Manager of the Water Treatment & Solid Waste Facilities Unit of Engineering and Construction Services will have:
- A Professional Engineering licence and be a member in good standing of Professional Engineers Ontario.
- Extensive management experience in the area of engineering design and construction of complex, large-scale multi-disciplinary projects for water treatment systems, pumping stations, and reservoirs; solid waste management facilities, including transfer stations; and other major infrastructure.
- Extensive experience in project management from inception to implementation associated with the engineering design of complex, large-scale, multi-disciplinary, multi-year construction projects for major infrastructure, including water treatment and supply systems; solid waste management facilities; and other major infrastructure, including ancillary systems.
- Experience in the preparation of contract documents, technical reports, reports to Council or external agencies or third parties.
- Experience in managing, attracting, motivating and leading a diverse workforce and establishing and operating in an environment that promotes excellence.
- Exceptional knowledge of the principles of civil engineering and of materials and methods of construction, rehabilitation and upgrading of water treatment and solid waste management facilities.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices associated with mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and SCADA systems.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices associated with water treatment plants and systems; solid waste management facilities, including transfer stations; and other major infrastructure.
- Awareness and knowledge of technological advances/approaches and regulatory requirements associated with the rehabilitation and upgrading of water treatment systems, pumping stations, and reservoirs; solid waste management facilities, including transfer stations; and other major infrastructure.
- The ability to operate as a fully accountable program leader and as a member of a management team.
- The ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment with frequent and competing deadlines, multiple tasks and high performance expectations.
- Well-developed people management skills with proven success in achieving results in a unionized and non-unionized environment.
- Well-developed interpersonal, human relation, communication (written and oral), negotiation, conflict resolution, project management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and external stakeholders.
- Awareness and knowledge of Federal and Provincial regulations and requirements, including, but not limited to, the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Employment Standards Act, Construction Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, and Environmental Protection Act.
- The ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as Manager of the Water Treatment & Solid Waste Facilities Unit within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2309732 X, by September 16, 2018.
If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting job ID #2309732 X and the job classification title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.
More search results
Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Imaging and Artif…
College of Engineering, University of Saskatchewan
Instructor/Senior Instructor/Professor of Teachin…
Assistant Professors in Manufacturing Engineering
CAD Technician [2D and 3D] with Microstation expe…
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation