Junior Process Development Engineer/Chemist
- Vancouver, BC
- Job Category
- Job Type
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
TRIUMF and its Life Sciences division are currently working on the refurbishment of isotope generators for clinical applications. The primary goals at this stage of the project are the development of a process for the recovery of germanium-68 (Ge-68) from partially spent isotope generators, the radiochemical purification of Ge-68, and the conversion of recovered Ge-68 into a chemical form suitable for loading new generators.
In support of these activities, we are currently recruiting a junior level Process Development Engineer/Chemist to perform the technical aspects of research and development related to the development of new isotope production and processing techniques. This position is initially for an 18-month term, with a prospective start date of September 4th, 2018, and is ideal for a recent graduate who is eager to learn as it provides an opportunity to develop and improve chemical process for a variety of projects. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Designing, implementing and optimizing radiochemical process equipment
- Implementing radiochemical purification and synthesis methods on automated chemistry modules
- Evaluating experimental data with a focus on process optimization and maintaining meticulous engineering records of development projects
- Recommending, designing and implementing infrastructure upgrades to labs to improve safety, work flow and efficiency
- Composing QA documentation, project reports and presentations, and initiating and participating in design, safety and gate reviews
- Contributing to the commercialization of developed equipment and processes
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you have a high attention to detail and are able to meticulously follow safety instructions and lab procedures. You have creative and innovative problem-solving skills, and you have:
- The ability to handle chemicals and open radioactive sources safely, and develop chemical processes of moderate complexity
- A good understanding or inorganic, analytical and industrial chemistry, and a technical understanding of radioisotope production and radiochemical separation processes
- Experience reading, assessing and creating quality assurance documentation
- An undergraduate degree in chemical engineering or chemistry
- While not required, some practical experience would be a definite asset
TRIUMF offers a creative, diverse and inclusive team environment, located on the South campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive starting salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the term.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 666
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until 2018-09-04