Geotechnical Site Engineer
Job Title: Geotechnical Site Engineer
Reporting to: Senior SEM Engineer
Hours: averaging 190 hours per month, working to a 9/6 shift pattern, dayshift only, blocking of hours
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation has a record of delivering high quality and innovative tunnel solutions under tight programme controls by working efficiently with highly qualified and motivated team members.
Purpose of the role:
The Geotechnical Engineer is an integral part of the onsite Geotechnical and SEM team and is required to provide full coverage and documentation of the daily SEM construction activity. The Geotechnical Engineer shall be responsible for all geotechnical-related concerns during construction of the Works.
Responsibilities and duties:
The Geotechnical Site Engineer will be responsible for all the detailed geotechnical documentation of the contractor’s site activities including pre-support installation and sequential excavation at a challenging SEM project with low overburden in the GTA near Etobicoke. Work will be performed in soft ground conditions including made ground closely under live and valuable infrastructure. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring adequate monitoring of the geotechnical aspects of the pre-support and SEM works. Principal duties are:
- Logging and documentation of geotechnical drillings and investigations according to USCS.
- Documentation of geological test data taken from samples.
- Documentation of geological data derived from installation of pre-support measures.
- Producing face maps of the encountered ground conditions at each excavation round.
- Submitting Face Maps to the SEM engineering team for supporting the RES process and to the contracting authority.
- Producing geological longitudinal sections using AutoCAD or similar.
- Writing detailed geotechnical daily and weekly reports.
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Master’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering or similar, preferably licenced P.Eng or P.Geo in Ontario.
- Experience of working on three or more geotechnical and civil engineering projects, two of which will be in SEM tunnelling.
- Familiar with logging bore holes [core and auger] and probe drilling [rotational] to USCS.
- Experience of face mapping and tunnel construction [SEM] with a minimum of one tunnelling project in soft ground.
- Good representation, organisation and communication skills.
- Good report writing skills [MS Office package basic CAD knowledge as a minimum].
- Excellent written and spoken English skills,
- Good structural understanding of the principals of soft ground tunnelling.
- Eligible to work in Canada