Intermediate Civil Engineer
Under the guidance of the General Manager of Engineering, the Intermediate Civil Engineer is responsible for providing leadership and project management expertise on engineering design and construction assignments related to Capital, Operations & Infrastructure, or development projects. The Intermediate Civil Engineer will ensure that the design and execution of projects protects public safety by meeting the City’s, engineering, and legislative standards. The position requires the ability to anticipate needs, think critically, and offer solutions to problems with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
The Intermediate Civil Engineer will:
- Finalize internal designs and approve consultant designs to administer capital projects.
- Analyze engineering designs of Capital projects using computer software and professional acumen.
- Manage the request for quotation, invitation to tender and request for proposal processes in accordance with the City’s procurement policy.
- Prepare pre-construction estimates for infrastructure projects including storm and sanitary sewers, watermain, roads and sidewalks, traffic signals and intersection controls.
- Oversee the construction of municipal projects, including providing engineering support and guidance to technical staff to ensure compliance with the accepted design, City policies and by-laws, and the management of associated financial securities.
- Host project meetings with consultants and contractors to monitor and manage project progress.
- Manage the project change management process, finalize and submit changes for approval.
- Provide project progress reports as required.
- Proactively monitor project schedules and provide guidance to technical staff.
- Review and approve contractor progress claims.
- Conduct infrastructure analysis and estimates and assist in the capital budget process.
- Provide engineering reviews, comments and inspections of the City’s servicing components for new subdivision, condominium, site plan developments and redevelopment proposals.
- Provide technical advice, reviews and expertise utilizing standard engineering principles and practices.
- Perform detailed design, specification development and tender documents development for capital projects.
- Conduct on-site inspections and assessments of municipal infrastructure in a construction environment.
- Work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants, developers, and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Assist in the preparation of annual project budget by preparing cost estimates of projects.
- Post-secondary degree in Civil Engineering or other related field.
- Registered and licensed as a Professional Engineer in Canada (P. Eng) preferably in the discipline of Civil Engineering. Candidates licensed outside of Ontario will be required to obtain licensure in Ontario through the Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- Minimum of five (5) years engineering experience in the Municipal Environment and/or with Municipal Infrastructure
- Supervisory experience would be an asset.
- Must possess valid ‘G’ class driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing and/or reviewing servicing and storm water management reports, as well as engineering studies and drawings submitted in support of development projects or applications.
- Project management experience related to municipal infrastructure projects.
- Thorough knowledge of Civil Engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting.
- Thorough knowledge of Total Station and GPS Surveying in addition to Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Civil 3D and ESRI GIS Software
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Planning Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, and any other applicable legislation
- Ability to deal with sensitive or confidential matters with tact, discretion, and diplomacy.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills with an ability to complete a high volume of work with accuracy and within prescribed deadlines.
More search results
Technical Officer, Asset Management
Government of the Northwest Territories
EMC Intermediate Engineer
ESL Technology Inc.
Industrial engineering technologist
Civil Design Engineer
Ayshkum Engineering Inc
Senior Review Engineer/Ingénieur principal, évalu…
Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks