Senior Engineer, Engineering Review Section
- City of Toronto
- Job Category
- Job Type
Senior Engineer, Engineering Review Section
Two permanent, full-time opportunities – Toronto, ON
Are you a Professional Engineer conversant with the latest developments in municipal engineering? Can you achieve results in a politically sensitive, multi-stakeholder environment with differing objectives and competing priorities? If you’re answered with an unqualified YES, we invite you to consider joining the Engineering Review Section of the City of Toronto’s Engineering & Construction Services Division.
Reporting to the Manager, Third Party and Utility Review, you will be responsible for the technical review and administrative processing of applications submitted by third parties such as Metrolinx, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), utility companies, and developers. As a Senior Engineer, you’ll apply expert knowledge of the design and construction of water, wastewater, and stormwater conveyance systems as you provide technical guidance to ensure compliance with City and regulatory requirements, standards and specifications – from the initial application through to the end of the construction warranty period.
Your expertise in standard engineering principles and practices is backed by considerable experience in the development engineering field, enabling you to review engineering drawings, studies, reports and contracts to ensure compliance with City policies, standards and bylaws, provide detailed comments and negotiate final requirements. You will also coordinate and review comments, correspondence and sign-off from various City works departments, ensure that applicable permits and approvals are secured, as required, review permits for compliance, review municipal infrastructure-related conditions for legal agreements, and advise on land requirements associated with municipal servicing.
Adept at managing and delivering large, complex projects involving many stakeholders, you will lead multi-disciplinary project teams, planning, supervising and directing the work of assigned staff members, and ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, and continuous learning. An effective communicator, you will establish and maintain links to other City units to coordinate input and facilitate partnerships, liaise and maintain relationships with councillors, the public, consultants, government agencies, developers, contractors and other stakeholders related to assigned projects, and prepare Council reports and briefing notes on various issues.
This leadership role comes complete with responsibility for administering securities and financial matters related to applications, overseeing inspection and enforcement site activities, assisting the manager in reviewing divisional procedures, practices and directives, and preparing estimates to support the preparation of the budget. Overseeing and evaluating the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeline, cost and completion of required tasks will be another integral part of your role as a Senior Engineer.
Committed to keeping up-to-date with technological developments in the municipal engineering field, you are well prepared to represent the Division at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors, as a technical specialist at project, committee and organizational meetings with planners, administrators, contractors and other external service providers, and as an expert witness at hearings and in court. With continuous improvement in mind, the Division will also rely on you to conduct research on best practices, corporate policies, legislation, and initiatives by other municipalities and other levels of government.
Among the strengths you bring to the role of Senior Engineer will be the following key qualifications:
- University degree in Civil Engineering or in a professional discipline related to the job function combined with relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A Professional Engineering licence and membership in good standing in Professional Engineers Ontario.
- Considerable experience in the development engineering field, including technical review of engineering reports and drawings submitted in support of development and/or third-party applications.
- Extensive experience applying the technical principles of engineering design as related to linear underground infrastructure (e.g. water, wastewater and stormwater management, etc.).
- Considerable experience negotiating technical requirements and reviewing legal agreements to construct municipal infrastructure.
- Considerable project management experience leading large, complex projects involving many stakeholders.
- Experience performing or overseeing contract administration or site inspection services for linear underground infrastructure (water, wastewater and stormwater management, etc.).
- Ability to meet deadlines and other key performance indicators.
- Extensive knowledge of the application of a variety of legislation (e.g. the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Safe Water Drinking Act, the Planning Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act).
- Proficiency in the use of office software (e.g. Microsoft Office Word).
- A valid Province of Ontario class "G" driver's licence and ability to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely manner.
- Ability to read, interpret, and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports and other documents in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at a professional level across all organizational levels, including communicating technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to resolve conflicts, negotiate and achieve consensus among parties with differing objectives in a complex, multi-stakeholder and politically sensitive environment.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
Salary Range: $103,303.20 - $121,375.80 per year
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Engineer within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2325173X, by May 29, 2019.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and members of the public feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the public and the communities in which we live and serve.
If you are an individual who requires accommodation to apply to this position, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job ID #2325173X and the job title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details