Driven by technology and fuelled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful workplace experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit: https://www.hsb.ca
HSB Canada’s Head Office Engineering Department (HOED) is the hub for technical consultancy and risk assessment across North America. Our experienced engineers handle operational risks, equipment breakdowns, property loss control, and inherent hazards in diverse industrial processes while providing expert support to various internal departments.
As an Account Engineer, you will foster long-term partnerships with our Insured accounts by performing routine property loss control activities. This includes understanding their businesses, performing both on-site and desktop risk evaluations, quantifying property loss estimates, and preparing engineering reports. You will also provide technical consultation to the business, support claims by objectively assessing loss events, and keep our technical body of knowledge and engineering intellectual capital up to date.
Experienced professionals with a background in property risk management, loss control engineering, facilities management, or power generation engineering, could be an excellent fit for this position.
- Develop and maintain a deep technical understanding of our insured’s businesses to enable world-class insurance engineering services.
- Perform annual risk reviews for all-risk accounts with a focus on hydroelectric renewable energy.
- Evaluate and assess the nature, probability, and magnitude potential loss events based on gathered information, interviews with key site personnel, and location fire protection and loss prevention programs.
- Lead and/or participate in on-site property loss prevention surveys at insured facilities and locations across North America.
- Identify and evaluate property loss exposures based on building construction, occupancy hazards and related protection features, critical equipment, NAT CAT hazards etc.
- Work collaboratively with Underwriters and Claims Adjusters to provide engineering opinions, necessary calculations, and estimates.
- Contribute to the growth, improvement, and instruction of our intellectual capital by developing technical articles, educational tutorials, and technical bulletins.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Fire Science, or related degree.
- Professional Engineering designation or in progress.
- 10+ years’ of work experience in property risk management, loss control engineering, facilities management or engineering in power generation
- 5+ years’ experience in property loss control is considered an asset.
- Insurance background is an asset
- Familiarity with NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) and typical insurance industry standards is considered an asset.
- Experience in Renewable Energy occupancies is highly valued.
- Ability to read and understand engineering and construction drawings and technical documentation.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to deciphering complex industry processes to identify critical equipment, operating principles, and common failure modes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills is a must.
- Proficient in report writing, use of MS Office applications.
- This role will require occasional travel to conduct site visits as deemed necessary by the Underwriting and Claims departments.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this; we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please quote Job Reference ACCEP1123-BW, please click on the link: Apply Here.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.