Driven by technology and fuelled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful workplace experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit: https://www.hsb.ca
HSB Canada’s Head Office Engineering Department (HOED) is the hub for technical consultancy and risk assessment across North America. Our experienced engineers handle operational risks, equipment breakdowns, property loss control, and inherent hazards in diverse industrial processes while providing expert support to various internal departments.
As an Account Engineer, you will foster long-term partnerships with our key accounts by performing routine risk engineering activities. This includes understanding their businesses, performing on-site risk evaluations, determining risk rankings, quantifying potential loss events, and preparing engineering assessments and reports. You will also provide technical consultation to the business, support claims by objectively assessing loss events, and keep our technical body of knowledge and engineering intellectual capital up to date.
Experienced professionals in fields like manufacturing, field engineering, maintenance, or commissioning could be an excellent fit for this position.
- Develop and maintain a deep technical understanding of our insured’s businesses to enable world-class insurance engineering services.
- Perform engineering evaluations of complex risks to identify and understand their equipment, processes, and operations.
- Evaluate and assess the nature, probability, and magnitude of failure modes and potential loss events.
- Lead and/or participate in on-site risk evaluations and field surveys, including interviewing key site personnel.
- Obtain and evaluate technical data and reports to identify hazards and deficiencies to provide risk improvement solutions and reduce risk exposures.
- Work collaboratively with Underwriters and Claims Adjusters to provide engineering opinions, necessary calculations, and estimates.
- Contribute to the growth, improvement, and instruction of our intellectual capital by developing technical articles, educational tutorials, and technical bulletins.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Professional Engineering designation or in progress.
- 10+ years of experience in heavy industry as a field engineer, manufacturing engineer, maintenance engineer, and commissioning engineer (or similar/mix).
- Expertise in rotating equipment, specifically prime movers for power generation, is highly desirable.
- Experience in at least one of the following industries: power, mining, chemical, nuclear, oil & gas, or manufacturing.
- Insurance background is an asset
- Good fundamental knowledge of engineering and plant operating principles.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify and quantify potential risks.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to deciphering complex industry processes to identify critical equipment, operating principles, and common failure modes.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings and technical documentation.
- Excellent oral, presentation and written communication skills are a must.
- Proficient in report writing, use of MS Office applications.
- This role will require travel to conduct site visits as deemed necessary by the Underwriting and Claims departments.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this; we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please quote Job Reference ACCEEB1123-BW, please click on the link: Apply Here.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.