Project Manager – Special Projects
The Value of Claystone Waste
A role at Claystone Waste is more than a paycheque; it is the bridge to opportunities for you and your family.
Claystone is a stable company with a massive opportunity in the future as an essential service, with no wild swings seen in other industries.
Claystone is committed to growth and that will provide opportunities for learning and advancement, beyond the role you take coming in the door.
People are our most important asset, and we invest heavily in them through competitive wages, outstanding benefits, plus project performance bonuses and other perks. You will assist us in nurturing an environment of fairness, diversity, and inclusion – a workplace that is safe and respectful. Here, we encourage everyone to embrace their individual talents, backgrounds, and expertise, fostering transformative results for our clients.
The Landfill and Compost Facility is located near Ryley, AB, a short commute from the east side of Edmonton and we are expanding with a Waste Transfer Station in West Edmonton.
Claystone Waste Ltd. is a western Canadian leader in waste management. Their vision is to develop innovative solutions for the safe disposal of waste and enhance the quality of life for the people in the communities that they serve.
Claystone Waste Ltd. was established as a municipally controlled corporation in 2020. The landfill has been in operation since 1992 to service the waste management needs of communities within Beaver County, Alberta. The size and complexity of their operations have grown since that time, and now Claystone Waste is a western Canadian leader in waste management servicing a diverse range of municipal and industrial customers.
They have enjoyed steady growth and financial success despite the persistent economic recession in Alberta and their commitment to all their stakeholders; employees, residents, and municipal shareholders, remains a top priority.
We are searching for a two-year contract Project Manager – Special Projects for the Engineering Department at Claystone Waste. The work will be project based and sites will be in Edmonton and in Ryley, AB.
The Project Manager (PM) will report to the Engineering Manager (EM). The PM will manage all aspects of assigned projects from design to completion. Projects range from $6-10 Million.. Work in a fast-paced environment to complete projects on budget and on schedule.
For the PM your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and maintain project specific schedules, performance metrics, performance management spreadsheets, and complete financial monitoring
- Lead and direct projects to ensure they are completed in accordance with best practice, Claystone policies and procedures, and regulatory standards
- Complete project reports that consider critical project management reporting metrics that include monthly reports, KPI updates, document management, and administrative processes
- Analyze and integrate corporate resources and experience against challenges that emerge within each project
- Oversee project scope, schedule, budget, quality, safety, and change management, aiming to deliver projects that are both functional and financially viable within the project schedule.
- Hire engineering, construction contractors, utility contractors, planning agencies, environmental consultants, and other subcontractors as required for the execution of all projects.
- Ensure all contracts with contractors and subcontractors are executed on time
- Maintain project record systems, from concept development through to close-out.
- Complete preconstruction planning that includes project scheduling, safety requirements, procurement schedules, milestones, and execution strategies
- Work closely with Contractors and Consultants to manage the construction portions of projects.
- Ensure all permits and approvals are received and construction follows within the approved guidelines
- Support transition to operations with as built reports, training, standard operation procedure support, and records management
- Offer specialized guidance, training, and suggestions regarding project management standards, governance, and procedures
- Knowledge on tendering, specification writing/interpretation, and contract writing/interpretation.
- Examine and monitor all agreements, invoices, and payments made to contractors, consultants, and vendors
- Manage post-construction aspects including project deficiencies, as built reports, as built drawings, financial and reporting close out processes, and transition into warranty periods
- Manage engineering reviews and reports for special projects, as assigned by the EM.
- Work closely with Engineering Design Technician and Project & Maintenance Lead.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
Ideally a Project Manager will possess:
- 10 years project management experience across a variety of infrastructure projects
- Strong project management skills including an understanding of project management methods and techniques (PMBOK best practices)
- Excellent communication skills
- Management of financial metrics and reporting requirements
- Strong computer skills, including a working knowledge of scheduling (MS Projects)
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain a professional/mature demeanor in stressful situations.
- Knowledge of project management processes and systems, civil construction, and equipment operation.
- Ability to work in outdoor environments when needed.
- Have a desire to learn and exhibits a high level of initiative.
- Ability to work alone with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with strong oral and written communication and a strong command of the English language.
- Degree or diploma in Construction Management, Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Ability to be registered as a P.Eng in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) or as a C. Tech or C.E.T with the Association of Science & Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) is an asset
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation and previous experience in project management is an asset
- Valid class 5 Alberta driver’s license (required).
The position requires a combination of office and site work at multiple sites but primarily the to-be-developed West Edmonton Transfer Station and the Ryley Landfill. Health and Safety is critical at all sites. The position may require irregular hours on short notice.
At Claystone Waste, every employee receives a competitive total compensation package including a competitive base compensation, vacation plan, full benefits plan, (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability), and a project bonus structure.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please email resume to email@example.com