Employee Status: Regular
Bargaining Unit: Non-Union
Pay Range: $131,882 - $186,282
Location: 20 Bay Street, Toronto
Closing Date: 25-Sep-2023
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
At Metrolinx, equity, diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values of serving with passion, thinking forward and playing as a team.
Our Operations Delivery department is seeking a Senior Manager, Transit Operations to lead the development, operations and maintenance of Subway design and engineering teams, including a high level of technical, functional, and financial oversight to professional engineering, design, construction and/or operations & maintenance internal staff and consulting teams.
What will I be doing?
• Provide senior technical leadership, expertise, and advice to multi-disciplinary professional teams involved in planning, design, and engineering activities to develop, maintain, and operate Subway/LRT/BFRT transit modalities
• Create and manage strategic direction for area of responsibility; develops, presents, and negotiates specifics of business cases to operationalize strategic initiatives
• Conduct and manage operational planning aligned with the organization’s strategic plans and discusses / negotiates plans with other business units
• Establish ongoing relationships and provides senior leadership oversight to consultant teams, contractors, partners, and stakeholders to ensure high quality service
• Communicate regularly with internal and external stakeholders, partners, government representatives, contractors, and vendors to advise, communicate, educate, negotiate, and/or persuade on issues within scope of responsibility
• Develop and implement operational plans and budgets for the development and/or maintenance of Subway/Light Rail/Rapid Transit (LRT/BFRT) design and engineering teams; determines related staffing, vehicle, material, and equipment requirements
• Develop operational processes focused on maintenance integration, working with Maintenance Delivery and Engineering Asset Management teams to integrate maintenance plans and asset management plans with operational plans
What Skills and Qualifications Do I Need?
• Completion of a Post-Secondary degree in Engineering or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training, and experience deemed equivalent would be an asset
• Demonstrated experience leading a large group of staff and/or managing large operating agreements or projects, preferably in the transportation and/or public transit sector
• Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the Province of Ontario and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification would be an asset
• Knowledge of rules and regulations established by Transport Canada (TC), Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA), Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA), American Railway Engineering Maintenance of Way Association (AREMA), Federal Railway Administration (FRA), American Association of Railways (AAR), American Passenger Transportation Association (APTA), TAC and Ontario Provincial and Municipal standards, various building codes, contract, safety, and environmental legislation would be an asset
• Experienced-based, knowledge of commuter rapid transit (e.g., Subway, Light Rail Transit (LRT), Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)), system planning, design, and delivery (e.g., elevated, surface and subway main line and stations, maintenance of rapid transit systems, etc.)
• Interpersonal and communication skills to provide high level expertise, and lead multi-disciplinary professional teams
Don’t Meet Every Requirement?
If you’re excited about working with Metrolinx but your past experience doesn’t quite align with every qualification of this posting, we encourage you to apply. You just might be the right candidate for this or other roles. We are always looking for great talent to join our team.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from members of equity-deserving communities, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, racialized, women, people with disabilities, and people with diverse gender identities, expressions and sexual orientations.
We value the unique skills and experiences each person brings to Metrolinx and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment. We are committed to the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act so if you require accommodation during the hiring process, please let our Recruitment team know by contacting us at: 416-202-5601 or email email@example.com.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate.
For Internal applicants, with the recent implementation of the Internal Mobility Policy, the internal recruitment process has changed for non-union roles. Candidates must be in their current role for 12 months prior to applying for another role and each applicant must be in good standing (not participating in a Performance Improvement Plan). Please review all provisions of the policy before submitting your application.
Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WE ARE AN EQUITABLE AND INCLUSIVE EMPLOYER.