Junior Mechanical Engineer (Contract)
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We are currently accepting applications for a junior Mechanical Engineer to join our Accelerator division and work on TRIUMF’s ARIEL project for a 3-year term. The Advanced Rare Isotope Laboratory (ARIEL) is TRIUMF’s flagship multidisciplinary research facility. This world-class facility will broaden Canada’s research capabilities in particle physics, nuclear physics, nuclear medicine, and materials science. This is exciting and innovative work that provides engineering support for beam lines design, manufacturing, integration, and documentation. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing engineering designs and calculations for project activities, including for newly designed or upgraded beam line elements
- Contributing to the production of project documentations such as engineering notes, requirements specifications, interface, integration and test plans
- Assisting with the review and approval of mechanical drawings for manufacturing
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
Our ideal candidate will have strong problem solving and inventive abilities, strong planning and organizational skills, and will possess the following:
- A sound understanding of all engineering aspects of mechanical systems, and a basic understanding of project management
- A good understanding of and experience with industrial safety
- A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or engineering physics combined with at least 2 years of relevant experience after graduation, or equivalent combination of experience and training
While not required, relevant experience in a particle accelerator facility would be a definite asset to your application.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the term.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, flexible working hours, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high-profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 713
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: June 2, 2019
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.