TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
Our Mechanical Services Department supports TRIUMF’s mechanical infrastructure, which has multiple buildings and 24/7 operations and is continuously evolving to support the changing demands that are inherent with TRIUMF’s on-going role as a leader in world class science. We are currently accepting application for a Mechanical Engineer-In-Training (EIT) to join TRIUMF on a 3-year contract and provide hands-on support in the maintenance, design, and operation of our site services such as HVAC, specialized nuclear ventilation, cooling water, compressed air, and building control systems. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in preventative maintenance to ensure systems are operating reliably
- Taking part in trouble-shooting and responding to failures to bring systems back online safely and promptly
- Assisting in the development and review of design standards for use in existing and new mechanical systems
- Contributing to written submissions and ensuring appropriate documentation is maintained
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you possess strong problem-solving and prioritization skills, sound engineering judgement, and a high attention to detail. You also have strong interpersonal skills, and a demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of a team. Your other qualifications include:
- Practical, hands-on experience maintaining mechanical systems
- Knowledge of the design, operation, and maintenance of the conventional site services listed above
- An understanding of building control systems and control strategies, and proven technical documentation skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering combined with at least 1 year of relevant professional experience
- Eligibility to register as an EIT in the province of British Columbia
While not required, an understanding of nuclear ventilation and radioactive water systems would be considered a definite asset to your application.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the contract.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: 714
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: June 3, 2019.
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.