- City of Calgary
- 1668 56 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB
- $111,913 - 176,074 per annum
- Job Category
- Job Type
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary . City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits . Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and reconciliation. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
As the Leader, Water Treatment Capital Maintenance, you will lead and provide strategic direction to the Capital Maintenance team within the Water Treatment Division, whose focus is on delivering capital maintenance projects to address risks associated with Calgary’s water treatment plants and secondary stations. The team is part of the Water Services business unit, which oversees the operation of three lines of service: Water Treatment, Wastewater Treatment and Stormwater.
As a member of the Water Treatment Leadership Team, you will be expected to foster an inclusive leadership approach that promotes equity, diversity and inclusion, as well as psychological and physical safety. As a strategic decision-maker, you will possess political acumen and have experience in leading transformational change and enabling innovation. Primary duties include:
- Provide engineering expertise, strategic direction and leadership on project delivery including feasibility, pre-design, design, estimating, permit applications, public relations, contract administration (tendering, indemnification, approvals, permits), construction management, safety and commissioning.
- Provide direction and support to staff, including recruitment and selection, individual performance management, staff development, coaching, mentoring and succession planning.
- Develop strategic long-term planning, allocate resources and developing business processes.
- Provide leadership on management issues such as business planning, scheduling and utilization of resources, customer satisfaction, training and education, communication, project planning and liaise with leadership team, both within and outside of the Division.
- Assist in the development of capital and business plan budgets, financial reporting, status updates.
- A degree in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Industrial or Chemical Engineering, registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada, and current licensure as a Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) or licensure by the first day of work.
- At least 10 years of experience in project management in consulting engineering, government, or utility engineering, but less experience may be considered under exceptional circumstances.
- A solid understanding of water treatment processes and operations and senior level project management experience is required.
- Experience in managing engineering activities and troubleshooting infrastructure challenges in highly regulated process plants or industrial environments would be considered an asset.
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) designation and experience with project tracking software would be considered an asset.
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to manage staff to deliver projects within tight timelines to achieve multi-dimensional work programs.
- Demonstrated ability to build, develop and lead strong teams while maintaining positive work relationships, lead change and promote innovation. effectively on technical, operational, and business issues to multiple audiences.
- Strong political acumen, analytical skills, superior communication skills, with the ability to make strategic decisions that mitigates risks to Water Services.
- Aligning with City corporate values, you will have demonstrated success in building, developing and leading strong teams, leading and managing change, and establishing and maintaining strong and positive working relationships.
A security clearance will be conducted.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Union: Exempt Engineer
Business Unit: Water Services
Position Type: 1 Temporary (up to 24 months)
Location: 1668 56 Avenue SW
Compensation: Level G $111,913 - 176,074 per annum
Days of Work: This position works a 5 day
work week earning 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
Apply By: September 26, 2023
Job ID #: 308300