Heavy Oil Extraction Research Engineer
Imperial is seeking an experienced research engineer to join our Heavy Oil Mining Research team to support an operating oil sands project. The successful candidate will join a research team that is working to continuously improve aqueous extraction at Imperial's Kearl mine, and develop new technologies for the economic extraction of bitumen from ore. This position provides excellent opportunity for professional growth within the organization.
Examples of specific responsibilities:
- Accountable for the development and technical analysis of aqueous extraction technology from surface mined ore.
- Design of experiment and data analysis for both plant and lab scale extraction performance trials
- Technical guidance and quality oversight of research related to engineering work product
- Coordination with Process Modeling Development and asset Operations Technical teams, and interfacing with projects, operations, and maintenance groups
- Analysis, valuation and prioritization of opportunities within research portfolio
- Safety leadership
- Technical leadership, coaching and mentoring to junior staff
- PhD or Master's degree in engineering
- Registered or eligible to register as a professional engineer in Alberta
- ~10 years of experience in aqueous extraction engineering and extraction research
- Operating site support and industry experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Depending on background, less-experienced candidates may be considered
Start date: Q3, 2019
Location: Calgary, AB
- A company committed to career growth - we recruit those who are interested in a career with Imperial and prefer to develop and promote people from within. Our career management process means that you will likely perform a number of unique, challenging roles during your career.
- Successful networking and mentoring programs - enables you to spend time with managers from across the organization to learn about other departments and opportunities. Also allows you to connect with peers at a similar experience level.
- Commitment to safety, ethics & continuous improvement - these standards are the reason Imperial is an industry leader. You will work for a company that upholds safety and ethics ideals and continues to seek out ways to improve.
- Exceptional benefits program - includes competitive savings, retirement, and healthcare plans that you can customize to meet your individual needs. A comprehensive relocation package is provided, if required. Educational and physical fitness financial assistance programs round out our benefits package.
- Continuous learning environment - encourages you to augment your skills and capabilities.
- If you are talented, driven, and want to make meaningful contributions that really impact environmental, safety and bottom line objectives, then you owe it to yourself to apply with Imperial.
- Competitive vacation package (the first year is pro-rated based on your hiring date), one scheduled Friday off per month and five floating days annually for use at your discretion with approval.
Who we are
We are the 5,000 men and women of Imperial.
At Imperial, Canada is more than a place to do business. It’s our home.
For more than a century, we’ve strived to reach our high standards protecting the environment and maintaining operational excellence.
Imperial employees strive to be preferred developers of Canada’s resources.
Our continued success will be driven by a commitment to continuously innovate processes, training and technologies along with our ever-present respect for the communities in which we work.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
All applicants who receive an offer of employment must be eligible to work in Canada on their start date. Proof of eligibility shall be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence, Canadian open work permit or receipt from Immigration Canada of an application for a post-graduate work permit . Proof of eligibility must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility will be required if an offer of employment is made. Failure to provide proof of eligibility at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Aplication deadline: May 26, 2019
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.