Mechanical Design Engineers
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
As part of TRIUMF’s mission to advance isotope science and technology, we are moving to the next stages of two exciting projects: the Advanced Rare IsotopE Laboratory (ARIEL), which will broaden TRIUMF’s and Canada’s capabilities to produce and study isotopes for physics and medicine; and UCN, an international collaboration of groups from Canada and Japan with a goal to provide the world’s highest density of ultra-cold neutrons. In support of these projects, we are recruiting early to mid-career level Mechanical Design Engineers who will be responsible for identifying, analyzing, and recommending design solutions and taking these designs from detailing through to manufacture, assembly, and test. Specifically, you will:
- Establish engineering requirements, creating and developing design concepts and detailing designs
- Develop complete specifications and mitigate risks through use of DFMEA or similar design tools
- Conduct design reviews to determine design maturity and perform tests to establish or confirm specifications
- Provide engineering input and coordination for tender, manufacturing and supply phases
- Provide input to project plans, and coordinate design, manufacture, assembly and testing to meet project objectives
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
Currently, we are seeking to fill two positions: a permanent position in support of ARIEL, which will initially be assigned to Vacuum work; and a three-year term position in support of UCN. While the level and specific job responsibilities will be dependent on the successful candidate’s knowledge and experience, at a minimum we would expect applicants to posses:
- Proficiency in the use of SolidWorks and simulation tools such as ANSYS, and proven documentation skills
- Experience in a highly multidisciplinary design environment, with excellent problem-solving skills and sound engineering judgement
- Experience with design reviews, communicating risk in a well-documented fashion, designing tests to demonstrate concept capability, and interpreting failures within the test limits
- The ability to be self-directed and prioritize, with a high attention to detail and excellent interpersonal skills
- A BSc in mechanical engineering or engineering physics, with a specialty in mechanical engineer
- At least 3 years of relevant and practical work experience, preferably in an R&D environment
- Eligibility for registration as a P.Eng in the province of British Columbia
TRIUMF offers a creative, diverse and inclusive team environment, located on the South campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, a competitive starting salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 649
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations and the position you are applying for
Applications will be accepted until 2018-07-13