Safety Standards Engineer, Boiler
- Provides engineering support including application of provincial and national codes and standards to internal functions and external stakeholders.
- Plans and leads program reviews, including reviews of legislation to support policy changes and submissions of regulatory amendments, and to ensure codes are kept current, practical and effective with respect to industry practices, technology advancements and compatibility with other codes and standards.
- Makes recommendations for policy changes, including development of directives where regulatory requirements, codes and standards are inadequate or require interpretation.
- Directs, coaches, mentors internal technical functions, including senior safety officers in the resolution of program policy and procedural issues by providing technical leadership on the application of codes and standards.
- Provides a consultative service in response to a wide variety of engineering, design and code related enquiries from safety officers, design engineers, safety managers, industry representatives, manufacturers, and consulting engineers, and clarifies code intent.
- Provides technical support in incident and product failure investigations.
- Conducts research of other jurisdictions practices; researches manufacturers’ standards and related codes and presents findings and recommendations for changes to program policies.
- Attends technical committees at the Provincial and National levels including participation and/or leading technical or advisory committees for codes and standards development.
- Assists in educating the public in matters of safety through written articles, technical seminars and public speaking.
- Provides support to the Provincial Safety Manager, by acting on their behalf as and when required, providing input into the business plan and program priorities, performing reviews and analysis of incident reports, as-found hazard reports and hazard maps, performing evaluations and analysis of technical risks, updating the technical risk repository, and supporting development and implementation of risk treatment plans.
- Investigates and prepares documentation for Safety Manager Reviews, Complaints. Appeals, Compliance Orders, Discipline Orders, Safety Orders, Monetary Penalties, and Information Bulletins
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent education and experience. Must be registered or eligible for registration with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC
- Comprehensive and current knowledge of mechanical engineering practice related to thermodynamics, mechanical and structural design, metallurgy, welding strength of materials and stress analysis.
- Working Knowledge of numerous codes and standards including the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes, ANSI/ASME Piping Codes and portions of ANSI, CSA, API, NFPA, CAN/BNQ, National Board Inspection Code and MSS-SP standards relating to pressure containment components for boilers, pressure vessels, piping, fittings, refrigeration systems, gas storage and distribution and quality control programs
- Working knowledge of engineering safety standards design practice, preventative maintenance and repair methods used in industrial practise typically acquired through five years experience as a design engineer or the equivalent experience working in standards development with organizations such as CSA.
- Experience in the field of mechanical engineering including the design, construction, inspection, maintenance and operation of boilers, pressure vessels, refrigeration systems and pressure piping systems
- Excellent knowledge of and ability to develop inspection processes standards and audit procedures for quality control systems, safety management or integrity management plans for boiler plants and gas storage or distribution systems.
- Working knowledge or risk assessment processes, and excellent ability to analyze data.
- Experience in data collection and data management, use of databases and accessing data from databases
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively
- General computer skills including word processing and electronic mail