Senior Manager, Transmission Program Management
Brief Posting Description:
As the Senior Manager, Transmission Program Management, you will be accountable for the estimating, portfolio & project management, cost control and scheduling of all Electricity Operations Transmission work including AESO direct assign work. In addition, you will be accountable for the prequalification of consultants and contractors; scope definition; work execution; scheduling; ensuring contractor safety; meeting financial targets; and managing quality. Furthermore, you will be responsible for developing the amalgamation of contractor resources into larger design/build strategic partnerships and the development of systems and processes to increase contractor capacity and quality.
Reporting to the Director, Transmission, you will be accountable for (but not limited to):
- Providing input to the Transmission business plans and the annual capital construction plan for the Transmission business unit.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing a business plan within the context of the transmission business plan (including mission, vision, values, strategic positioning, operational plan and resource plan).
- Ensuring the deliverables of direct report positions are aligned and integrated and include performance expectations and deliverable metrics.
- Strategically planning and identifying for the necessary budget requirements for the provision of exceptional consultant, contractor and project management processes with the application of industry best practices and leading edge contractor / project management technology.
- Providing information and expertise to support Alberta Utility Commission (AUC) regulatory filings.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining an appropriate organization design, which includes vertical and functional position alignment, clarity of accountabilities and authorities (managerial and cross functional); matching people to positions; matching tasks to positions; and managerial leadership practices.
- Creating a strong team of professionals and managers.
- Maintaining working knowledge of consultant and contractor resources available in the market place. Liaising with other utilities regarding best practices in outsourcing. Gathering market information on performance and cost and assessing market opportunities and threats; recommending appropriate plans to improve the operational effectiveness of the function and implementing decided actions.
- Overseeing all consultant and contractor qualification processes through creation/negotiation of all long term contracts to ensure that competent, safety-orientated external resources are available to assist in transmission project delivery.
- Establishing rigorous service level agreements with consultants and contractors.
- Establishing, monitoring, measuring and reporting on performance metrics for all consultant and contractor services.
- Analyzing and identifying issues impacting operational performance and establishing initiatives for continuous improvement.
- Building consultant and contractor capacity by establishing larger strategic partnerships with key providers that can provide design build services encompassing engineering, construction and trades.
- Managing all AESO connection work from identification, review and costing of alternatives through to construction and energization of new transmission facilities.
- Delivering short, mid and long term projects through developing integrated internal and external execution strategies to achieve AUC Filing and distribution facility owner/external customer scope, time and cost commitments.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Professional Engineering designation, Business Degree, or Professional Licensee designation. P. Eng. and P.L.(Eng.) applicants must be registered with APEGA and eligible to practice in Alberta.
- Extensive experience in contract management, project management and construction scheduling.
- Experience in designing and constructing high voltage and medium voltage electrical utility infrastructure (substations and lines) is desired.
- Understanding of procurement, including competitive bidding, reviewing proposals, negotiating service terms, the development of performance standards, multi-party contracts and measurable service level agreements.
- Demonstrated capability in project management, scope management, cost control and management and scheduling required. Project Management Professional (PMP) designation and minimum of 10 years’ experience in project management is desired.
- Knowledge of project scheduling software will be considered an asset.
- Experience in overseeing complex multi-party construction projects, managing engineering and field operations and ensuring on-time, on budget delivery.
- Strong understanding of contract law, Alberta Lien Act, Alberta Occupational Health and Safety regulations, Worker’s Compensation Board requirements, Alberta Electrical Utility Code, and Alberta Safety Codes Act
- Ability to analyze issues, solve problems, and make effective decisions.
- Ability to negotiate and implement complex multi-party service agreements.
- Capability to create contract language, develop standards of performance and write clear and concise communication & contacts.
- Ability to design cross functional processes and manage change.
Hours of work: 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week
Commencing with your first day of employment as a permanent EPCOR employee you will enjoy a variety of benefits, such as:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive (bonus) pay program
- Paid vacation
- Flexible benefits plan
- One Friday off per month
- Access to internal and external career development programs
- Financial support for personal development
- EPCOR Savings Plan with company matched contributions
- Pension Plan
- Financial support for employee wellness
- Career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines and operational areas
- Financial support for charitable organizations that employees contribute to
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
How to Apply:
Thank you for your interest in a career with EPCOR. Due to the large volume of applications, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
EPCOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Positions are filled by means of open competition where the selection is based on job-related skills, training, experience, suitability and, where appropriate, seniority.
EPCOR only accepts resumes via on-line application at www.epcor.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered.
More search results
SYNCRUDE IS HIRING ENGINEERS
NB Power Chair in Smart Grid Technologies
The University of New Brunswick
Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, Depar…
University of Calgary
Assistant Professor, Advanced Manufacturing, Depa…
University of Calgary
Emera Chair in Smart Grid Technologies
The University of New Brunswick (UNB)