If you’re a professional engineer with extensive project management experience in a municipal engineering environment, here’s your opportunity to work on a variety of assignments as part of the City of Toronto Engineering & Construction Services Division team.
Senior Engineers working within the Transportation Infrastructure units provide project management, contract administration, technical and engineering expertise in the planning, design and construction of large, complex capital works projects, including roads, sewers and watermains. Taking on the accountabilities of a project manager, you will oversee, review and direct the work of interdisciplinary staff members and engineering consultants, and engage consultants and/or contractors by preparing bid packages. These three positions call for the expertise and leadership of civil engineers who are committed to continuous improvement and can play a key role in ensuring effective quality control measures and recommend new technologies to meet existing and future requirements,
Your primary responsibilities as a Senior Engineer will be varied, but you’ll be expected to:
- Develop, review and implement detailed plans and recommend policies regarding program-specific requirements.
- Manage assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning.
- Conduct research into assigned area, ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Ensure that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Participate in the preparation of capital and operational budgets, and deal with complex cost-sharing arrangements for the construction of municipal infrastructure.
- Lead multi-disciplinary project teams and supervise/direct other professional engineers and technical personnel.
- Provide specialized design services and technical advice and expertise to support the units of the Department.
- Be responsible for project management of ongoing or annual City-wide engineering programs, special projects, engineering proposals, Capital Works Program, best practices and other program development and new initiatives.
- Identify, evaluate, and provide technical expertise and recommendations for the resolution of contract issues, compliance programs, prosecutions, property, by-law, environmental and risk management issues and public safety in compliance with the City policies and by-laws, while ensuring compliance within guidelines by acting as a signing authority.
- Represent the Division/Department at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors.
- Represens the Department as a technical specialist at project and organizational meetings with planners, administrators, contractors and other external service providers, as well as at hearings at the Ontario Municipal Board, court proceedings and other tribunals.
- Advise on drawings and specifications prepared by staff, contractors, and consultants, and coordinate activities of your field of supervisory personnel.
- Prepare Committee and Council reports, presentations, Requests for Proposals, Requests for Quotations, contract plans, specifications and estimates for tenders, evaluate tendered bids and make recommendations for award of contracts.
- Finalize contract payments and implement quality control/quality assurance for construction.
- Oversee and evaluate the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeline, cost and completion of required tasks.
- Secure permits and approvals as required from external agencies.
- Maintain relations with councillors, the public, consultants, government agencies, developers, suppliers and contractors relative to facility and equipment design and improvements, and formulate sound recommendations regarding such additions or alterations during the design and construction phases.
- Analyze the continuous improvement and control measures for quality, efficiency and effectiveness of services and formulate recommendations.
- Review and analyze new technologies for utilization in existing or future service requirements.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of all required operating records and produce, or supervise the production of, such operating and research reports and statements.
- Perform site inspections and assessments of changed conditions on construction projects.
- Conduct technical problem investigations and participate in conducting studies, analyses, surveys, research and development for effective resolution of complex engineering problems.
- Establish and maintain linkages to other units in the City to coordinate input and ensure effective partnership.
Your application for the role of Senior Engineer must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Qualifications as an Engineer as defined by Professional Engineers Ontario in the discipline of Civil Engineering or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in Ontario prior to the employment start date.
- Extensive experience applying the principles of engineering related to roads, sewers and watermains.
- Extensive project management experience in an Engineering Environment related to roads, sewers and watermains.
- Experience in developing reports, RFPs/proposals and presentations.
- Experience in client management and communicating with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge of legislation and the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for construction projects.
- Ability to read, interpret, and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports and other documents in a timely manner.
- Highly developed ability to plan, organize and coordinate large, complex projects.
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information in a user-friendly manner.
- Highly developed personal, interpersonal and team skills with the ability to collaborate and work effectively with contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants, developers and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, supervise and direct the work of assigned staff members, and considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
- Proficiency in the use of general computer software, including Microsoft Windows, Excel and Word.
- A valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence and daily access to a vehicle to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
Salary Range: $100,773.40 - $118,409.20 per year (2017 rates)
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Engineer within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2294865 X, by January 23, 2018.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.