Title: Thermal Engineer
Company: Grakon Hamsar Holdings Ltd.
Terms of employment: Permanent, full time
Location of work: 5320 Downey Street, Burlington, ON L7L 6M2
Hours of work: 40 hours per week
Salary: $95,000 - $125,000 CAD per year
Benefits: Eligible for bonuses and/or salary increases in accordance with company policy. Grakon offers a competitive base salary and bonus structure that includes medical & dental coverage.
Proficient thermal engineer is the one who provides his/her engineering problem solving skills to aid in finding the most efficient methodologies of designing a part with minimal thermal vulnerabilities. Thermal issues include and not limited to parts failing by the exposure to high temperatures and reduced performance due to excessive heat emitted by heat producing modules. Thermal Engineer works on running virtual simulation for the products utilizing complex CFD (computational fluid dynamics) codes to guide the organization on possible thermal failures and methodologies to fix them in production stage. This helps in cutting down the prototype and product development cost by a huge margin.
Thermal Engineering Tools, Processes, and Methods:
- Advise company on required tools necessary to perform both digital modeling and physical testing.
- Expert knowledge of best practice product design for thermal management.
- Establish thermal development processes integrated with overall product development processes.
- Coordinate thermal design reviews with project teams.
- Drive implementation of cost effective thermal designs and engineering changes.
- Develop outside resources as needed for thermal modeling and/or testing.
- Oversee and manage all thermal engineering aspects from concept to production launch.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Identify and resolve product thermal issues within the project.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Work with engineering to develop and deliver any APQP paperwork that is thermally related.
- Continuous improvement of thermal modeling correlated to physical test results.
- Establish thermal engineering simulation methodologies and best practices for analysis.
- Prepare thermal engineering material database for product development reference.
- Prepare tutorials on thermal engineering analysis for Grakon Internal learnings.
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of mechanisms, components and systems
- Analyze fluid dynamics and thermal properties of mechanical systems and structures
Product Development Support:
- Provide technical assistance to other personnel within the company as needed.
- Attend internal or customer design review meetings as required
- Manage multiple projects and communicate with engineers across Grakon offices worldwide.
- Work with Optical engineers and Electrical Engineers to benchmark product development process.
Manufacturing Cost Estimates (MCE), Benchmarking:
- Work with Sales, Project Management and/or Engineering to ensure concept solutions include cost effective thermal solutions that meet / exceed technical requirements.
- Benchmarking of competitive products as required, including reports shared with extended teams.
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Physics, Optical, etc..)
- Minimum five years of industry experience in a similar role.
- Technical experience in LED lighting is required; YES
- Good working knowledge of mechanical and/or electronic design.
- Proficient in Creo, CATIA, or other CAD software.
- TS16949 knowledge is an asset YES
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and leadership.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Specific Skills & Training:
- Ability to use the selected thermal modeling software at expert level.
- Experienced in CFD software’s like Star CCM, Fluent, Radtherm, Openfoam etc.
- Experienced in pre-processing & post-processing software’s like ANSA, Hypermesh, Ensight, Meta Post etc.
- Must have a relevant combination of training and work experience
- Good reporting and presentation skills. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate complex designs to other functional groups.
- Problem solving skills. Able to clearly identify thermal issues and propose solutions in consideration of both product cost and quality.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time, both domestically and internationally