About the Opportunity
Our growing Calgary office is looking to add a capable and hardworking Engineer-in-Training (EIT) to our team. Community engineering is an integral part of our practice groups at Urban Systems. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in many communities including Indigenous Communities, local governments, and private developers. Assisting in the planning, design, and consultation for multiple clients and projects, you will be given as much freedom and responsibilities as you demonstrate you are able to handle.
In addition to the unmatched learning and project experience you will receive, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Honing your civil engineering skills and developing an understanding of best practices in a practical, real-world setting
- Applying theory and providing workable solutions related to the implementation of engineering work regarding general engineering including roads, water, sanitary, and drainage infrastructure design and planning
- Establish relationships with communities and act as the clients' representative on-site during construction to gather information, conduct inspections, and ensure that designs are built to specifications
- Apply for Municipal, Provincial, Federal, Indigenous Services Canada (ISC), Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and other Funding Applications (including cost for service applications)
- Provide accurate and timely input and summarize technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and presentations
- Assist project managers with cost estimating, quantity take offs, contract preparation and administration, project coordination, construction management, and report preparation for civil infrastructure related to community development
- Proactively and professionally communicate with contractors, co-workers, clients, other consultants, and the public
- Exploring creative and sustainable solutions together with our clients to build vibrant communities
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals
This opportunity is well suited to graduates from a Civil or Environmental Engineering degree program who will be eligible to obtain professional designation with APEGA. Recent graduates or those with related experience will be considered.
The following skills, strengths and interests needed for this position:
- You are interested in working with Indigenous communities, municipalities, and private land developers
- You take the initiative, are a problem solver and continually deliver consistent, high-quality work
- You are passionate about understanding key community dynamics and working closely with clients and partners to provide innovative and "out of the box" solutions
- You practice proactive communication, listen to others and enjoy collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives
- You are available to travel throughout Alberta for project work, including visiting communities and have a valid class 5 drivers’ license
- You are committed to ongoing personal and professional development
- You can employ multiple communication styles to deliver information to internal and external clients
- You can work on multiple projects and thrive in a self-directed work environment
The following are desirable but not required:
- Experience working with Indigenous communities and Municipalities
- Experience using AutoCAD or Civil 3D for design drafting of linear infrastructure
- Experience and understanding of GIS and asset management
We are an employee-owned inter-disciplinary community consulting firm with deep Canadian roots. We are united in our mission to transform communities everywhere into vibrant places where people want to live today, tomorrow, and forever.
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything—including our own work community. Since 1975, we have grown to more than 500 people with 15 offices across Canada. Every day, our team works closely with our clients and their communities to deliver impactful work. We are proud to work with diverse clients including Indigenous communities, all levels of government, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector.
How To Apply
If this describes your background, skills and attributes please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn’t describe you exactly but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity among our teams lead to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: November 30, 2022 at 10:00 AM (MST)
More search results
Senior Energy Engineer
City of Calgary
INTERMEDIATE GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER
MPE Engineering Ltd
Environmental Scientist/Engineer - Salt Impacted …
Senior Cyclotron Engineer
Controls Optimization Engineer
NES RECRUITMENT LTD