Control System Developer - Drivers
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
Within TRIUMF, our Controls Group provides engineering support to our Science, Accelerator, and Life Science Divisions and the core work includes use of the EPICS toolkit to produce operator interface, applications, control algorithms, and device drivers. In support of these activities, we are currently accepting applications for a Control System Developer who will focus on drivers and be responsible for the design, testing, documentation, installation and verification of control systems and components. You will also play a specialist role in low-level software development and integration with EPICS based control systems, within the context of general control systems development, deployment and ongoing maintenance. Primary responsibilities include:
- Developing extended EPICS functionality such as device support and subroutine records using the C and C++ programming languages
- Using the Linux Operating system and related tools to develop control system software and configurations using cross compilation toolchains and frameworks
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in system administration and networking tasks, including troubleshooting and design and architectural decisions
- Providing timely fault resolution response
- Contributing to and participating in critical review processes as a reviewer, observer and presenter
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you are skilled in low-level and device driver software development using high level languages, under the Linux Operating System environment and using cross compilation techniques. You also have knowledge of the EPICS Control System toolkit and low-level communications protocols such as RS-232, GPIB, Canbus, and RS-485. Your other qualifications include:
- Knowledge and skills relating to Linux such as general networking concepts and tools; kernel, device driver and software cross development; and system administration and operating system concepts
- An understanding of software methodologies including design, testing, software versioning and ongoing maintenance
- Experience with C, C++, Python, Perl, Java and Bash programming languages
- Working knowledge of digital electronics and circuit theory, and the ability to read and interpret electronics schematic diagrams
- Demonstrated ability to use basic hand tools and test and measurement instruments
- A Bachelor’s degree in applied science or engineering combined with at least 5 years experience, or the equivalent combination of training and experience
While not required, direct experience with VME based systems and VME device driver software development would be a definite asset to your application. Direct EPICS experience and a strong record of Linux system software development will also strengthen your application.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: 703
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: April 28th, 2019
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
More search results
Associate Dean, Engineering
University of Northern British Columbia
Project Manager - ARIEL (Contract)
Director, Capital Projects | Directeur des projet…
Government of Nunavut
Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Imaging and Artif…
College of Engineering, University of Saskatchewan
Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Social and Cultur…
College of Engineering, University of Saskatchewan