Control System Developer - Applications
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
Within TRIUMF, our Controls Group provides engineering support to our Science, Accelerator, and Life Science Divisions and the core work includes use of the EPICS toolkit to produce operator interface, applications, control algorithms, and device drivers. In support of these activities, we are currently accepting applications for a permanent Control System Developer who will focus on applications and be responsible for the design, testing, documentation, installation and verification of control systems and components. You will also maintain existing software applications and develop new applications. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing extended EPICS functionality such as device support and subroutine records using the C and C++ programming languages
- Developing and maintaining web-based applications, and writing scripts to increase productivity, repeatability and re-use of tests and diagnostics
- Assisting in system administration and networking tasks, including troubleshooting and design and architectural decisions
- Taking a leadership role in the development of software development workflows, processes and quality standards
- Contributing to and participating in critical review processes as a reviewer, observer and presenter
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you are skilled in application software development using high level languages primarily in the Linux Operating System environment. You also have knowledge of the EPICS Control System toolkit and software development for GUI applications, especially using the Qt application framework. Your other qualifications include:
- Knowledge and skills relating to Linux such as general networking concepts and tools, and system administration and operating system concepts
- An understanding of software methodologies including design, testing, software versioning and ongoing maintenance
- Experience with C, C++, Python, Perl, Java and Bash programming languages
- Fluency in simple web page application development (SQL/RDB, CGI, HTML, Apache) and a working knowledge of TCP/IP networking and network infrastructure elements
- Demonstrated ability to use basic hand tools and test and measurement instruments
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in applied science or engineering combined with at least 8 years experience, or the equivalent combination of training and experience
Direct EPICS experience and a strong record of application software development in a Linux environment will also strengthen your application.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC.
- a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, basic life insurance, disability insurance and defined benefit pension plan
- a competitive starting salary range of $72,000 - $90,000 per annum, dependent on your skills, experience and qualification
- an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: 702
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: June 28th, 2019.
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
Confidential Fax: 604.222.3791
4004 Wesbrook Mall
- Application form: TRIUMF application form (135kb) (the link will open in a new window)