Mining Dam Design Engineer
Mining Dam Design Engineer - (2212028)
Diversify and accelerate your career as a Professional Tailings Dam Design Engineer. Canadian Natural’s Mine Geotechnical Design Group provides in-house technical, professional, and leadership opportunities that can enable you to be a successful technical professional at the Albian Oil Sands asset. This position is responsible for producing designs of Mine Earth Structures, including but not limited to Dykes, Pit walls, Dumps, Civil infrastructure, tailings corridors, for approval by the Alberta Energy Regulator. This person is expected to progress into the role of a Designer of Record (DOR) for the structures assigned, which is a regulatory requirement as per the Alberta Dam and Canal Safety Directive.
The Geotechnical Design Engineer will provide fit for purpose design solutions as needed in a short time frame to support operations, while maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Perform design tasks which typically include design basis preparation, site characterization (geology/geohazard), stability and seepage failure analysis, deformation modelling, reporting and drafting to construction drawing stage.
- Act as the design focal for the assigned mine structures and work with the EOR to support operational construction needs, performance monitoring plan, and provide design updates as needed.
- Coordinate with Mine Planning and Operations to establish the design basis during early phase of the project, and provide geotechnical parameters to support the development of the Business Plan.
- Support the planning and execution of drilling programs for instrumentation and geological model development.
- Complete quarterly inspections of operating as well as under construction structures and generate the annual construction and performance reports to be submitted to the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER).
- Contribute to work standards, procedures and guidelines for the Quality Management Systems (QMS).
- Job location: Calgary office with services for Albian Oil Sands
- Shift Schedule: 5 x 2 – 8 hour days
- This is a safety sensitive position
- Competitive salary, stock options, stock savings plan and benefits
- Eligible for relocation pursuant to Canadian Natural’s Relocation Regular Policy
- This is a Calgary based role with some travel to Albian mine site
Skills & Qualifications:
- More than 8 years of design and construction experience in operational or consulting environment. Experience in a previous mine tailings design/management role is considered an asset.
- B.Sc. in Civil or Geological Engineering; Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering preferred.
- Fluent in the usage of GeoStudio, Soilvision, AutoCAD/Civil 3D, Microsoft (c) Office, and Vulcan
Why Canadian Natural?
Canadian Natural is a senior independent crude oil and natural gas exploration, development and production company based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Our strong, diversified asset base is comprised of a balanced portfolio of light, synthetic, and heavy crude oil and natural gas. Canadian Natural operates in Canada, the United Kingdom and Offshore Africa.
At Canadian Natural, we strive to live through our mission statement: "To develop people to work together to create value for the Company's shareholders by doing it right with fun and integrity." We are committed to a long-term presence in the communities where we operate. Our activities create value by providing employment, business development opportunities, revenues to governments that contribute to spending on goods and services, and essential resources for public services, including health, safety, education and training.
Over the last 30 years, we have grown from a Company with nine employees to over 10,000 employees. We have increased our production from approximately 400 BOE/d in 1989 to more than one million BOE/d today.
Safety is a core value at Canadian Natural. We conduct all of our operations in a way that identifies, minimizes and mitigates harm to the health and safety of employees, contractors, the public and the environment.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited is a publicly traded company on the TSX and NYSE as CNQ.