Tailings Geotechnical Engineer
Tailings Geotechnical Engineer - (2211727)
Reporting to the Tailings Reclamation Supervisor, you will have the opportunity to provide engineering support for the closure and reclamation of tailings facilities and mine waste dumps at the Muskeg River Mine and Jackpine Mine facilities. This role supports Canadian Natural’s commitment to reclaim the mine facilities to a boreal forest ecosystem.
- Apply regulations and industry standards related to the design and monitoring of tailings and mining landforms
- Prepare regulatory applications and status reports supporting the closure and reclamation of tailings and mine facilities
- Interpret geotechnical data and use analytical and numerical models to predict the performance of tailings deposits
- Prepare geotechnical closure landform designs
- Plan and manage field and laboratory testing programs to determine the engineering and environmental properties of tailings deposits
- Manage specialist consultants and facilitate meetings/workshops
- Serve as a mentor for junior staff within the team
- Job location: Calgary, Alberta
- Shift schedule: 5 x 2, Monday – Friday
- Eligible for relocation pursuant to Canadian Natural’s Relocation Regular Policy
- Periodic travel to Albian mine site will be required
- Competitive salary, stock options, stock savings plan, and benefits
- This is a safety sensitive position
Skills & Qualifications:
- 8+ years of related industry experience is required
- Undergraduate degree in Civil, Geological, or Mining Engineering is required
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a P.Eng. with APEGA is required
- Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering is preferred
- Capability analyzing tailings deposit data, including interpretation of in situ testing (CPT/VST), index testing, and advanced lab testing results
- Proficiency using mine planning/design software, including AutoCAD and Vulcan
- Experience working within Alberta’s tailings regulatory environment, including the Tailings Management Framework and Directive 085
- Experience planning and executing geotechnical site investigations, including collection of in situ data and laboratory testing
- Experience applying environmental science, hydrological, and hydrogeological and concepts
- Familiarity with oil sands tailings operations, tailings deposit types, deposit design, and tailings technologies
- Excellent communication skills
Why Canadian Natural?
CANADIAN NATURAL is a senior independent crude oil and natural gas exploration, development and production company based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Our strong, diversified asset base is comprised of a balanced portfolio of light, synthetic, and heavy crude oil and natural gas. Canadian Natural operates in Canada, the United Kingdom and Offshore Africa.
At Canadian Natural, we strive to live through our mission statement: "To develop people to work together to create value for the Company's shareholders by doing it right with fun and integrity." We are committed to a long-term presence in the communities where we operate. Our activities create value by providing employment, business development opportunities, revenues to governments that contribute to spending on goods and services, and essential resources for public services, including health, safety, education and training.
Over the last 30 years, we have grown from a Company with nine employees to over 10,000 employees. We have increased our production from approximately 400 BOE/d in 1989 to more than one million BOE/d today.
Safety is a core value at Canadian Natural. We conduct all of our operations in a way that identifies, minimizes and mitigates harm to the health and safety of employees, contractors, the public and the environment.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited - CNRL - is a publicly traded company on the TSX and NYSE as CNQ