Project Manager, Construction (Work Visa Sponsorship)
T&T Supermarket Inc. was found in 1993 with two stores in BC. Since then, it has expanded rapidly and is now Canada’s largest Asian supermarket chain with 29 stores across the country: 13 in Metro Vancouver, 6 in Alberta, and 10 in Ontario (8 in GTA and 1 in Ottawa, 1 in Waterloo). The Company’s continuous expansion is bringing forward its first-ever store in Montreal, Quebec, set to open in 2022/2023.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering or Senior Project Manager, the Project Manager (PM) will oversee the construction of new stores and renovation. The PM will manage a team of construction officers and project coordinators and collaborate with other internal and external teams to ensure that all existing stores and new stores are up to standards and fulfill all regulations of the landlords and local governments. The PM is also accountable to ensure the design and construction of all stores are aligned with company standard.
- Develop and review comprehensive project plans and specifications that outline the scope and timeline of the build
- Execute and adapt strategies for accomplishing projects on time
- Negotiate all vendors’ contracts or agreements per construction projects, and plan a budgetary proposal and adapting it as the project progresses to ensure that they finish within budget
- Manage vendor contracts and help ensure that the appropriate building permits are attained and ensure the building permits are closed properly and timely after the project completion
- Provide clear and concise instructions to all construction officers and project coordinators and ensure activities been scheduled efficiently and productively on daily basis
- Provide timely follow up, feedback and evaluation to construction officers and project coordinators
- Introduce, setup and execute an efficient Construction Management System to supervise and guide construction teams
- Collaborate with the interior designer, coordinator, engineers, general contractors, landlords and related local governments to ensure that the project is completed according to pre-determined needs and aesthetics
- Develop construction department’s long-term strategies to support the fast expansion of supermarket business in North America
- Travel frequently to oversee renovation projects for existing stores and development of new stores in North America, particularly those in other provinces of Canada
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the Engineering field
- Minimum 5+ years of solid construction project management experience, with experience in supermarket or retail chain is essential
- Strong working knowledge in design, architecture, construction, main fence, and renovations
- Ability to interpret blueprints and strong understanding of the technical and mechanical skills related to this field
- Proven supervisory, interpersonal, and technical skills
- Exceptional ability to work under pressure and time constraints
- Strong time management, organization, and leadership skills
- Ability to think outside-the-box to solve problems on the go
- Excellent communications skills in English (written and verbal), able to communicate in Chinese (Mandarin and/or Cantonese) is an asset
Candidate with lesser experience will be considered an Assistant Project Manager position.
- Quarterly discretionary bonus
- Life / AD&D insurance
- Extended health/dental/vision care
- Retirement benefit
- Paid annual / sick /marriage / bereavement leave
- Subsidized staff meal
- In-store staff purchase discount
- 5-day work week (Monday to Friday), 9:00am – 5:30pm
Safety continues to be T&T Supermarket’s top priority. We’ve established health and safety policies and measures to ensure our working environment is as safe as possible.