Driven by technology and fuelled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful workplace experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit www.hsb.ca.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated individual with technical aptitude and knowledge of equipment to join our Engineering Team. The individual should have experience in identifying and quantifying loss potential based on sound engineering judgement and excellent knowledge of risk control. We work in a dynamic group with a strong focus on teamwork.
The ideal candidate should have strong communication and report writing skills, be able to clearly communicate with audiences with varying technical backgrounds, have a willingness to continuously learn and develop professionally, take on challenges, apply attention to detail, and meet deadlines.
This role involves field work across Canada and individual and collaborative contribution. Individual contribution includes site surveys, tailored risk reports, and presentations. Collaborative contribution includes providing support to the underwriting, claims and inspection teams and communication with external brokers and clients.
• Perform complex Equipment Breakdown site surveys on High Hazard occupancies.
• Gather detailed information, interview site personnel and evaluate maintenance and loss prevention programs.
• Conduct desk reviews based on virtual surveys, client presentations/correspondence, and internal reports.
• Produce and present timely risk reports which communicate risk quality and quantify loss. expectancies.
• University Degree in Engineering
• Professional Engineering designation or in progress
• 10+ years of experience in design, operations or maintenance in heavy industry occupancy industries, boiler inspection, or insurance engineering
• Comprehensive understanding of the machinery, operations procedures, repair timelines, and process flow of at least one heavy industry occupancy. These include, for example: power generation, steel, aluminum, mining, pulp & paper
• Effective analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to formulate and communicate sound recommendations both verbal and written
• Must be able to work independently and within a team
• Enthusiastic, willing to learn on the job and looking for a challenge in his/her professional development
• Able to travel within North America and overseas
• Previous exposure to the insurance industry is not required, but would be considered an asset
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this. We will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Building Services Engineer (Mechanical Engineer, …
Canadian Conservation Institute
Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Thermo-Fluids wi…
Queen's University, Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Executive Assistant | Office Coordinator
City of Toronto
Manager of Water Infrastructure
Grand River Conservation Authority