Electrical Engineer - Power Systems
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
TRIUMF site electrical power distribution operates three systems: normal (up to 12.47 kV), emergency (up to 480 V) and uninterruptible power (120/208V) connected together. The Electrical Services Group is responsible for the dependable and reliable delivery of electricity in the TRIUMF site. The Electrical Services Group is also engaged in engineering support for site projects on electrical power distribution and infrastructures and their implementation. This responsibility involves the full cycle from planning to implementation, operation and maintenance.
This is an intermediate working level engaged in engineering support for the Electrical Services Group. Main functional responsibilities include design and engineering, installation coordination of up to moderately complex jobs, and the maintenance and operations of the electrical equipment and fire alarm system. The position is also required to assist in engineering support on electrical matters and designs to other site users for improving the distribution system reliability, safety and efficiency.
- Guided by outlines and engineering principles, means and methods as well as practices, this position independently carries out engineering assignments in the field of electrical-technology requiring the use of standard and non standard principles and methods, procedures and application of prescribed techniques.
- Engages in engineering studies, modeling and analysis to enable feasibility, costs and schedules and advises on cost estimates of up to moderately complex projects. An essential part of this responsibility includes carrying load flow, short circuit and arc flash studies and providing outputs for equipment specifications.
- Establishes and specifies engineering requirements for components and systems.
- Creates and develops design concepts, develops detailed design packages and specifies components for projects and operations and completes tasks of moderate complexity or importance.
- Develops designs that provide safe and reliable engineering solutions in the most cost-effective manner.
- Supervises installations of systems of moderate complexity and ensures conformance with design, budget and schedule as well as compliance with Codes and Standards and internal safety policies.
- Develops tests and commissioning plans and executes them as required.
- Prepares detailed documentation checks and advises on problem areas and initiates corrective actions.
- Assists in the upkeeping of the site fire alarm system and site lighting system.
- Maintains clear and effective records of design and engineering decisions and outputs, cost estimating, installation and commissioning processes as well as maintenance logs
- Trouble-shoots and responds to system and equipment failures to return the systems to operations safely and promptly.
- Assist in the implementation of equipment testing and inspection as required by the TRIUMF Quality Management System program.
- Prepares and maintains clear and effective records, including among others, plans and reports, technical and engineering notes, drawings and specifications, presentations to peers and design teams, senior staff and management as well as written procedures related to installation, maintenance, operations and safety for existing and new systems
- Carries out any other duties required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of the job
- Networks with senior internal and external professionals in own area of expertise and can explain difficult situations clearly.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Solid knowledge of electrical circuits, power system equipment, power system analysis, both theoretical and practical.
- Solid knowledge of electrical power system engineering and safety.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of:
- Electrical circuits and plants, including HV apparati and phenomena
- Codes and standards
- Design criteria and methodology
- Construction methods and techniques
- Grounding and grounding techniques for safety and EMI
- Application of safety principles and practices
- Instrumentation and tools
- Materials used in electro-technology
- Breakdown and conduction in gases, liquid and dielectrics,
- Controls as applied to electrical and electromechanical systems
- EMI suppression techniques
- Energy system analysis and modeling
- Circuit modeling for conducting transients
- Familiarity with Canadian Electrical Codes (CEC), Design and Arc Flash standards and practices.
- Familiarity with Short Circuit calculation and analysis
- Knowledge of commercial engineering tools for analysis, design and simulation such as SKM or Easy Power.
- Experience with engineering CAD tools such as DraftSight and SolidWorks
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including the Microsoft Office package and databases
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and sound engineering judgment
- Demonstrated organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ingenuity and engineering creativity to address unique engineering problems.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Effective team player, self-driven, reliable and dependable in delivering work with a strong attention to detail.
NUCLEAR ENERGY WORKER:
The position requires the incumbent to be trained and designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
Minimum qualifications: a BSc. in electrical engineering from an accredited Canadian program or equivalent with at least 5 years of relevant engineering experience after graduation and eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in the province of British Columbia.
A demonstrated working competency in electro-technology engineering is required.
A sound understanding of energy systems efficiency optimization and prior experience with electromechanical processes are considered an asset.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
As a requirement of this position, the successful candidate will need to provide acceptable proof that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or demonstrate that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the BC Human Rights Code. TRIUMF will grant reasonable accommodation requests up to the point of undue hardship.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity
Application closing date: July 24, 2022
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
More search results
Technical Lead – Risk & Compliance Management
Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)
ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST TECHNICIAN 1
City of Toronto
Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer
Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd.
Intermediate Civil/Water Resources Engineer
Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd.