Driven by technology and fuelled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful workplace experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit www.hsb.ca
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated individual with technical aptitude and ideally, a large commercial property and energy loss control background to join our Engineering Team. The individual should have experience in identifying and quantifying loss potential based on sound engineering judgement and excellent knowledge of risk control. We work in a dynamic group with a strong focus on teamwork.
The ideal candidate should have strong communication and report writing skills, be able to clearly communicate with audiences with varying technical backgrounds, have a willingness to continuously learn and develop professionally, take on challenges, apply attention to detail, and meet deadlines.
This role involves field work across Canada and individual and collaborative contribution. Individual contribution includes site surveys, tailored risk reports, and presentations. Collaborative contribution includes providing support to the underwriting, claims and inspection teams and communication with external brokers and clients.
- Perform complex property loss control site surveys, particularly at renewable energy or other highhazard occupancies.
- Gather detailed information, interview site personnel and evaluate fire protection and loss prevention programs.
- Conduct desk reviews based on virtual surveys, client presentations/correspondence, and internal reports.
- Identify property loss potential based on building construction, occupancy hazards and related protection features, critical equipment, natural hazards, and other exposures.
- Produce and present timely risk reports which communicate risk quality and quantify loss expectancies
- Engineering degree, diploma, or equivalent education.
- Professional Engineering (or C.E.T) designation or in progress.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in fire protection and property loss control.
- Knowledge of Building & Fire Codes, Fire Protection Codes and Standards (NBC, NFC, NFPA and other relevant codes).
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering with experience in operation & maintenance practices an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Previous exposure to the insurance industry is not required, but would be considered an asset.
- Must be able to work independently as well as with team members.
- Able to travel within North America and overseas.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this. We will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please quote Job Reference PRCC0422-BW, please click on the link: Apply here
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
More search results
Project Manager, Energy Initiatives/ Gestionnaire…
Government of Nunavut/ Gouvernement du Nunavut
SENIOR MANAGER, ENGINEERING
Intermediate Mechanical Designer - Drafts Person
Brunette Machinery Company
Inspector (Boiler/Pressure Vessels) – British Col…
Director, Engineering Management