Contractually Limited Appointment (CLA), Department of Mechanical Engineering, Lassonde School of Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering, Lassonde School of Engineering, York University, invites applications from highly qualified candidates for a three-year teaching stream contractually limited appointment at the level of Sessional Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream to commence on July 1, 2022, at the latest. This is a full-time appointment. cessful candidate will be engaged with teaching and supporting remodeling a variety of design courses. The successful candidate has a PhD in mechanical, mechatronics, control, design or other related engineering disciplines. In exceptional cases, having strong relevant industrial experience and a master’s degree can be considered.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated excellence, or promise of excellence, in teaching, mentoring, project execution, and innovation in the area of design related to the mechanical engineering field in its broadest sense. Pedagogical innovation in the areas such as experiential education, technology enhanced learning, machine learning, and digital communication protocols is an asset. The successful candidate is also expected to provide evidence of service contributions or potential to contribute to service in administrative and committee work.
The successful candidate must have a PEng registration or be able to register as a Professional Engineer within 6 months of appointment.
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. All York University positions are subject to budgetary approval.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Lassonde School of Engineering offers undergraduate and graduate programs that promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to solve challenging real-world problems. The Department offers BEng, MASc and PhD degree programs. Our department is focused on world class inter-disciplinary and collaborative research and teaching methods and practices. Please visit our website for more details about our exciting programs: http://mech.lassonde.yorku.ca .
Established in 2012, the Lassonde School of Engineering, York University offers a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programs to educate multidisciplinary problem solvers, critical thinkers, and entrepreneurs who understand creativity, communications, social responsibility, and cultural diversity. Further information is available at http://lassonde.yorku.ca/ .
York is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
Position Description and Duties
The successful candidate for this position will be engaged with teaching courses mainly in the design stream of our undergraduate curriculum. One of the main duties of the candidate will be to contribute to the program by helping redefine, reshape, and continuously improve the Engineering design curriculum. Our program is very unique in that includes a design spine where students take design related courses throughout the years of their studies. Hence, the candidate should be comfortable with a wide variety of design pedagogies, as demonstrated through the application materials. More specifically, the position duties include:
• Future proofing of our design spine (across all year levels); engineering design is increasingly taking advantage of connectivity of end products through internet-of-things and algorithmics at different stages, from conception to the final prototype/product. This means that the successful candidate should be able to include various pedagogical approaches, course material, workshops, methods of delivery, community engagement, and extracurricular activities that take advantage of Information, Communication Technologies (ICT connectivity) and algorithmics in design projects and related course materials for students.
• Recognizing that design is not just about technical matters, but must be harmonious with the environment, user community, and with different aspects of societal needs and ethics, e.g., equity, diversity and inclusion, the candidate should work with other course directors and stakeholders in relevant areas to include such aspects in delivery and reshaping of the design spine courses. The stakeholders can be both internal to York University or external entities.
• Contributing to the Department/School by helping redefine, reshape, and continuously improve the Engineering design curriculum (Moving towards a more project-based curriculum). Playing a central role in new program (or stream) development within Mechanical Engineering Department.
• In addition to teaching design-related courses, the candidate should support and work with other design course directors regarding: 1) developing and framing design projects with scaffolding complexity level as outlined in the Department plan, and 2) preparing materials and tools required for execution of the plans developed.
• Developing and sustaining outcome-based assessment framework for design skills, knowledge, and attributes across the whole program.
• Enhancing student experience throughout their extracurricular design activities including competitions and clubs. Advancing the interactions and collaborations with industry with aim to 1) recognize the design methodology/tools used in the field, 2) solicit real life design project ideas for design spine courses, 3) seeking input from industry on the skills and attributes they desire in graduates .
• The candidate is also expected to contribute to the service aspects of the Department’s day-to-day functioning, as expected from all faculty members.
York University has a policy on Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities and is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the hiring process, please contact Nancy Giatti at: email@example.com.
York University is an Affirmative Action (AA) employer and strongly values diversity, including gender and sexual diversity, within its community. The AA Program, which applies to women, members of visible minorities (racialized groups), Aboriginal (Indigenous) people and persons with disabilities, can be found at http://acadjobs.info.yorku.ca/ or by calling the AA line at 416-736-5713. Applicants wishing to self-identify as part of York University’s Affirmative Action program can do so as part of the online application process.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous peoples in Canada will be given priority. Temporary entry for citizens of the U.S.A. and Mexico may apply per the provisions of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) or citizens of Chile may apply per the provisions of the Canada Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA). No application will be considered without a completed mandatory Work Status Declaration form which is included as part of the online application process.
The deadline for receipt of completed applications has been extended to February 15, 2022. Applicants should complete the online application process at http://apply.interfolio.com/99812, and include:
1. a signed cover letter outlining professional experience relevant to this position, as well as their vision for the position;
2. an up-to-date curriculum vitae;
3. where applicable a teaching or mentoring dossier (e.g., course outlines, teaching strategies, teaching reviews, and other selected course or mentoring materials). The teaching dossier should include a teaching statement that addresses the candidate's commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusivity, teaching accomplishments and pedagogical innovations including in high priority areas such as experiential education, technology enhanced learning and community-based learning.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to arrange for three reference letters from their referees. Referees should provide strong letters of reference and be advised to address the candidate’s qualifications and experience in relation to the position.
Posting End Date: February 15, 2022