The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay and the South End, including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We are inviting applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Engineering Technologist (Level 4). If you are self-motivated, looking to take on a new challenge where you can make a difference, enjoy both responsibility and accountability with one of British Columbia’s most inclusive and environmentally conscious municipalities, we look forward to receiving your application!
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to perform technical functions of a civil engineering nature. We are keenly interested in applicants registered with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC. Duties will include, but are not limited to, design and use of AutoCAD programs to produce engineering drawings and maps along with managing and inspecting construction. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology with ASTTBC certification or ability to apply for certification.
- A minimum of nine+ (9) years of post-diploma relevant civil engineering experience.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's Licence; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- Demonstrable skills in spreadsheets, word processing, database programs and computer file organization.
- Demonstrable advanced AutoCAD skills and ability to use mapping and GIS programs in an engineering environment.
- Demonstrable skills in engineering planning and design for roads, water mains, sanitary mains, and storm drains including storm water management calculations, and be familiar with PRV’s and pump stations.
- Demonstrable advanced AutoCAD Civil 3D skills to prepare engineering concept and detailed drawings.
- Demonstrable skills in cost estimating and budget tracking.
- Demonstrable skills in inspection of construction by either a contractor or municipal operation crews.
- Demonstrable ability to keep accurate records and notes and to prepare design and as-built (record) drawings, service cards, and other utility records using Microsoft Office, AutoCAD and other programs.
- Demonstrable ability to prepare grade sheets, progress certificates, technical reports and inspection reports.
- Demonstrable ability to review and manage consultant-driven designs and construction.
- Demonstrable ability to understand and prepare contract documents.
- Good organizational and interpersonal communications skills and be able to work in a team environment.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working with minimal supervision.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website. Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.