Engineering Assistant/Development Coordinator
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We invite applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Engineering Assistant/Development Coordinator on a full time, temporary basis for up to 12 months. If you are self-motivated, looking to take on a new challenge where you can make a difference, enjoy both responsibility and accountability with one of British Columbia’s most inclusive and environmentally conscious municipalities, we look forward to receiving your application!
The successful candidate will perform routine work in the review, approval and coordination of projects including residential subdivisions, multi-family, commercial and industrial developments, and other related duties as required. We are keenly interested in applicants who are registered with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC and have experience in a variety of municipal engineering disciplines, provincial legislation relating to the subdivision and development of land and the workings of the various departments of the municipality. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant post-diploma engineering experience and 5 years of land development experience.
- Understanding of the zoning, subdivision, highway, utility, and other municipal by-laws processes, including the Municipal, Land Title, and Strata Property Acts, and the related development processes therein.
- Civil Engineering Technology Diploma and successful completion of the Development Approvals Program.
- Must meet all the requirements of an Engineering Technician IV.
- Completion of a land use planning course covering planning elements, zoning, lot and dwelling types, roads and emergency access, acts and regulations governing subdivisions, approval process, engineering serving or demonstrated equivalent knowledge.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- Knowledge of accounting processes relating to the Bonds List, recovery accounts, utility accounts, service installation accounts, and other accounting activities which relate to the development of land.
- Knowledge of the operations department and experience in coordinating the installation of services for new developments, as well as the issuance of construction permits for works in municipal roadways.
- Demonstrable ability in negotiating municipal requirements for new developments, and in reviewing phased strata plans and bare land strata proposals.
- Demonstrable ability of engineering standards, construction inspection, construction safety, bonding requirements for land and building development
- Demonstrable ability in final inspection of subdivision developments and setting of deficiency lists, maintenance periods and establishing of bonding requirements.
- Demonstrable ability in processing requests for Excess Capacity Agreements and the setting of Development Cost Charges.
- Demonstrable organizational ability and good interpersonal communications skills.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working with minimal supervision.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. January 19, 2022