Project Manager, Energy Initiatives
- Government of Nunavut
- Job Category
- Project Management
- Job Type
Department of Community and Government Services
Join the Government of Nunavut in this key role with territory-wide impact.
The Government of Nunavut (GN) was selected as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People and recent graduates in 2021. With one of the fastest growing and youngest populations in Canada, Nunavut is a dynamic, vibrant territory, committed to becoming an even better place for future generations. As a government, we are strengthening our unique model of governance – one that integrates Inuit societal values, promotes use of the Inuktut language, achieves a representative public service, and collaborates with partners to achieve the promise of Nunavut. Successful applicants will enjoy a competitive salary, medical and dental benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, relocation privileges and opportunities for training and career advancement.
Based in Iqaluit, NU, and reporting to the Director, Technical Services, you will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing departmental energy programs and activities to ensure energy efficiency is maintained and/or improved in GN facilities. You will be working closely with Senior Technical Officers to implement and enhance energy efficiency activities in planning, designing, building, maintaining and operating government facilities. As Project Manager, Energy Initiatives, you will also develop and coordinate energy awareness programs for GN employees, building maintainers, students of schools in Nunavut and the general public, to raise energy awareness with the goal of reducing the consumption of energy in Nunavut. This is an excellent opportunity to implement and monitor programs to track utility consumption in government facilities, establish baseline usage, and develop GN energy guidelines as well as standards and criteria for future design/construction, in order to ensure that proven energy technologies are included in the government project delivery process.
Responsible for the development, coordination, implementation, and management of all GN facilities related to energy initiatives for the Department, you will:
- develop an Energy Conservation Program by designing an energy management program and establishing objectives to reduce energy consumption;
- develop energy reduction training programs for end users, building inspectors and maintainers;
- coordinate the Energy Monitoring Program for the GN by acting as a resource for GN Facility Managers regarding energy-related matters;
- coordinate with all regional offices to track utility costs and consumption for all assets funded through the Community and Government Services utility budget; and
- investigate irregular energy consumption for cause.
Your profile as a qualified Project Manager, Energy Initiatives, will include:
- A recognized degree in Energy Management, Architecture, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- Three (3) years of relevant experience.
- A diploma in Business Administration.
- Experience in cold regions Engineering and arctic design/construction.
- Knowledge in Asset Planner, iAuditor, MS Project and AutoCAD.
- Experience using blower door test equipment, infrared thermographic scanning, light meters and air quality monitors.
- Fluency in Inuktitut, one of the Official Languages of Nunavut (i.e., Inuktut, English and French).
- Knowledge of Inuit communities, culture and land, Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit, and Inuktut.
- Experience working in a northern cross-cultural environment.
- Acceptable combinations of education and experience may be considered for this position. We encourage you to apply if you have equivalent years of education and/or experience equal to the education and experience requirements listed above.
Compensation & benefits: This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union and offers a salary range of $107,662 to $117,664 per year (for 37.5 hours/week), plus a Northern Allowance of $15,016 per annum. Note: Subsidized staff housing is not available.
For more information and to apply
If you are interested in this opportunity as Project Manager, Energy Initiatives (Reference #14-506907), please contact us or send your resume, by 11:59 pm eastern time, December 3, 2021, using one of the following methods: Department of Human Resources, Government of Nunavut, P.O. Box 1000, Station 430, Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0. Tel: 867-975-6222. Toll Free: 1-888-668-9993. Fax: 867-975-6220. E-mail: email@example.com. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your e-mail. Job descriptions may be obtained by fax or e-mail, or online. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Note: An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies. Applicants may submit their resume in any of the official languages of Nunavut (i.e., Inuktut, English or French).
The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy. Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
For position details, please visit the Government of Nunavut website at www.gov.nu.ca/public-jobs.