Structural Design Engineer
Glotman Simpson Consulting Engineers, one of North America’s leading engineering firms, has been providing innovative solutions and unparalleled client service since 1964. For over 55 years, we have been providing quality, cost conscious structural engineering consulting services for more than 5,000 projects in the areas of high-rise residential, seismic upgrade, commercial, industrial buildings.
Our firm is currently looking for a passionate Structural Design Engineer to join our dynamic Vancouver, BC team on a full-time permanent basis. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with a Master’s of Science degree in Structural Engineering looking to expand their knowledge working on a number of challenging projects. Candidates must be creative, have effective communication skills and a keen interest specifically in earthquake engineering.
Additionally, as we are looking to expand our project work in California, education and previous experience working in the U.S. is preferred.
Our firm, Glotman Simpson Consulting Engineers located at 1661 West 5th Avenue, Vancouver BC, offers an excellent environment for growth and achievement of your future goals; ongoing personal and professional development and provide our team with the tools they need in order to succeed and progress on their career path.
If you're our newest Engineer, you possess the following knowledge, qualifications and abilities:
- Master’s of Science and Structural Engineering degree from a California University (with experience working for a U.S. structural engineering firm is preferred);
- A minimum of 3 years structural design experience (includes co-op and/or internship experience);
- Structural design experience in post-tensioned concrete, reinforced concrete, wood, masonry and steel;
- Strong technical understanding of seismic design principles and structural dynamics; able to identify and design the most optimal lateral bracing strategies;
- Extensive knowledge of US Design Codes (i.e. ACI 318-11, ASCE 7-10) and moreover, the California Building Code 2010, obtained through coursework and past work experience;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to accurately read and interpret drawing plans;
- Proficient in computer science to help develop internal design tools and systems;
- Strong knowledge of the theory, computer implementation, and application of methods of geometric and material non-linear analysis;
- Basic knowledge of parametric design and optimization is preferred; and,
- Ability to operate an integrated REVIT BIM model to collaborate with other disciplines on large scale projects.
And, you're also described as being:
- A difference-maker;
- A positive team-player who is always seeking solutions to challenges;
- Someone who communicates clearly and concisely;
- A multi-tasker who thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Someone who radiates enthusiasm, energy and passion; and,
- Someone who is organized, efficient and confident.
If this sounds like you, here's what you can expect to be doing as a Structural Design Engineer:
- Creating plans, design, computer analysis, checking drawing reviews and calculations using engineering formulas and skills for design in accordance with established codes, or other specifications;
- Analyzing applicable reports, drawings, blueprints, tests, and related documentation to plan and design projects;
- Using computer-assisted engineering and design software to prepare engineering and design documents and calculations;
- Conducting field reviews and structural observations; and,
- Reviewing shop drawings, contractor requests and RFI’s.
Our firm offers an attractive total compensation plan; in this position you can expect a competitive wage ($78,000 per year) based on 32.5 hours per week, in addition to an extended health and dental plan vacation.
More search results
Director, Capital Priorities and Investment
City of Calgary
Director, Utilities Delivery
City of Calgary
Executive Director and Registrar
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (APEGS)
Holland Power Services/ Alectra Energy Solutions Inc.
Electrical Engineer / Ingénieur en électricité
Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)