Target Production and Operation Engineer
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We are searching for an Engineer to contribute to target production and operation by supporting the coordination of operations, the documentation and optimization of operational procedures and processes, and improvement projects. Your other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the coordination and scheduling of activities required for safe radioactive ion beam production
- Leading maintenance and process optimization reviews and providing recommendations to improve reliability and efficiency
- Supporting the analysis of maintenance needs and the development of a maintenance plan
- Planning, coordinating and executing corrective and preventive maintenance
- Performing system engineering, failure analysis, and reliability engineering tasks
- Establishing engineering requirements for components and systems, including remote handling systems
- Coordinating and supervising engineering projects with respect to safety and reliability improvements
- Participating in material irradiations and post irradiation examinations, and translating findings into improvement projects
- Contribute to target research and development projects in collaboration with internal and international partners
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you have experience leading projects and operational processes and have a strong aptitude for leading people through collaborative efforts in a diverse cross-cultural workplace. Your other qualifications include:
- Experience with process and systems engineering, and operation optimization
- Experience in nuclear engineering and remote handling technology
- Experience in failure analysis tools and methods, data collection and analysis, and asset management
- Strong project management, planning, and organizational skills and excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Good understanding of and experience with radiation and industrial safety
- Knowledge of vacuum systems, and experience with materials in high radiation fields, cooling systems and high voltage
- A BSc degree in process or mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, engineering physics, nuclear engineering or equivalent
- At least 8 years of relevant experience post-graduation, with at least 3 years’ experience connected to remote handling
- P. Eng designation or eligibility to become registered in the province of BC
Although not a requirement, the following skills would be considered an asset to your application:
- Working in areas with radiation hazards and experience with nuclear waste disposal
- Working in a particle accelerator or research laboratory environment
- Experience with hot cell operation and design
- Experience in an operational production environment managing processes associated with regulatory procedures
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC.
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, basic life insurance, disability insurance and defined benefit pension plan
- A competitive hiring salary range of $86,100.00 - $100,000.00 per annum; the actual offered salary will be based on the applicant’s experience and internal equity, but will usually not exceed the upper limit of the range
- An excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high-profile national research facility
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity https://www.rarestdrug.com/
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your application package must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be accepted for consideration applications must be complete, and must include the following in one PDF file:
- Subject line: 849
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: September 15, 2021
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
Confidential Fax: 604.222.3791
4004 Wesbrook Mall
More search results
Director, Capital Priorities and Investment
City of Calgary
Director, Utilities Delivery
City of Calgary
Executive Director and Registrar
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (APEGS)
Holland Power Services/ Alectra Energy Solutions Inc.
Electrical Engineer / Ingénieur en électricité
Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)