R&D Engineer – Therapeutic Isotope Productions
- Vancouver, BC
- Include your salary expectations on cover letter
- 851_R&D Engineer – Therapeutic Isotope Productions
- Job Category
- Engineering, Healthcare Services and Wellness
- Job Type
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We are currently searching for a R&D Engineer to join our Life Sciences Division and assist in the design and development of processes, analysis, testing and commissioning of therapeutic isotope production at TRIUMF. You will primarily focus on the development of equipment, systems and processes for remote target processing and purifications processes related to commercial-scale production and transport of irradiated 232Th and 225Ac. Your other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to process development for the handling and processing of thorium spallation targets, including the development of target processing and streamlining the target dissolution and purification processes
- Participating in the assembly, testing, modification and commissioning of equipment related to isotope production and processing
- Hands-on development work and performance of R&D tasks
- Scale-up and standardization of R&D processes for large scale, commercial production of isotopes
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you are able to think independently and demonstrate sound judgment, and have strong planning, project management and organizational skills. Your other qualifications include:
- Demonstrated capabilities in process development and a thorough understanding of process development engineering
- A basic technical understanding of radioisotope production and radiochemical separation procedures, and the ability to develop isotope production and chemical processes
- A thorough understanding of laboratory safety and radiation protection practices
- Bachelors degree in Nuclear, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience after graduation, or a combination of equivalent education and experience
- Registration with EGBC as a P.Eng, or eligibility for registration
Although not a requirement, experience in a nuclear or isotope production facility or engineering experience with radioisotopes will be considered an asset to your application.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity https://www.rarestdrug.com/
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your application package must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be accepted for consideration applications must be complete, and must include the following in one PDF file:
- Subject line: 851
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: July 17, 2021
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.