- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- JOB ID 162830
- Job Category
- Engineering, Project Management
- Job Type
Senior Project Engineer
The Regional Operations Division (ROD) of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry is accountable for the implementation and delivery of provincial resource management policy and programs on local and regional levels.
We are looking for motivated individuals to provide civil engineering, contract administration, project management and water resource management services.
Due to COVID-19, remote work arrangements are currently in effect; however, attendance at the office will be required from time to time or as needed.
About the OPS
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the largest employers in the province, employing more than 60,000 people. Every day, we are modernizing government operations and improving public services. We have a wide range of meaningful and rewarding career opportunities in communities across Ontario. We welcome new ideas and new people, encourage learning and development, and reward achievement. No matter the position, we live the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
• Flexible work arrangements, including flexible hours, telework (remote work), compressed work week, or job sharing (if applicable)
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• provide support to the Ministry's water management program (e.g. regulation of private dams under the Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act by inputting and enforcing policy and guidelines)
• inspect and report on the condition of a portfolio of over 300 dams, bridges and other infrastructure
• lead environmental assessment and design studies to upgrade Crown-owned infrastructure to provincial standards
• prepare tenders
• administer contracts with consulting engineering firms and contractors
• manage construction projects
Location: Blind River, Chapleau, Cochrane, Dryden, Fort Frances, Hearst, Kapuskasing, Kenora, Kirkland Lake, Nipigon, Red Lake, Sault Ste. Marie, Sioux Lookout, South Porcupine, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, or Wawa
How do I qualify?
• You are a Professional Engineer, licensed with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
• The position requires the successful candidate to have a valid class G driver's licence or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
Technical Expertise and Project Management Skills:
• You have demonstrated knowledge and experience in the application of civil engineering design and construction practices as applied to resource management such as hydrology and hydraulics, dam, bridges, flood control, shoreline development, docks, and erosion control.
• You have applied knowledge of project management principles, methodologies and practices to provide project management services for capital construction projects.
• You have demonstrated interpretative and problem-solving skills to review engineering aspects of development proposals, watercourse alterations, and flood emergency plans.
• You have proven ability to interpret and apply relevant federal and provincial legislation, regulations, technical guidelines and procedures to carry out detailed design, review or approval of hydropower facilities, dams, bridges, or shoreline protection projects.
Communication, Presentation and Consultative Skills:
• You can exhibit effective communication skills to provide engineering advice and legal testimony, and handle inquiries from staff and the public.
• You have demonstrated ability to prepare high-level written materials such as ministry comments and positions, briefing notes and correspondence on technical engineering issues.
Salary Range: $82,806 - $113,533 Per Year
- 1 Permanent, 435 South James Street, Thunder Bay, North Region or 227 Howey St, Red Lake, North Region or 479 Government St, Dryden, North Region or 5 Wadsworth Dr, Nipigon, North Region or 49 Prince St, Sioux Lookout, North Region or 808 Robertson St, Kenora, North Region or 922 Scott St, Fort Frances, North Region
- 1 Permanent, 5520 Hwy 101 E, South Porcupine, North Region or 190 Cherry St, Chapleau, North Region or 2-3 Hwy 11 S, Cochrane, North Region or 613 Front St, Hearst, North Region or 10 Government Rd E, Kirkland Lake, North Region or 122 Government Rd W, Kapuskasing, North Region or 64 Church St, Sault Ste Marie, North Region or 62 Queen Ave, Blind River, North Region or 3767 Hwy 69 S, Sudbury, North Region or 48 Mission Rd, Wawa, North Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, by Monday, June 21, 2021, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 162830 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
- Additional info: Q98-NAT-18144E_v2 (74kb) (the link will open in a new window)