Asphalt Technical Advisor
- Imperial Oil
- Sarnia, ON
- Job Category
- Job Type
You will be working in the Imperial’s Sarnia Technology Applications & Research Center, which is the largest facility of its kind in Canada and has demonstrated an outstanding record of technical innovation. Working closely with the Imperial and ExxonMobil technical and business community, the focus of your role will be to develop innovative solutions to technical challenges, which will add value to the company. Specifically in this role, you will be responsible for providing advanced asphalt technical support to regional refineries/midstream manufacturing sites, sales, product marketing, and strategic & tier 1 customers as well as to represent asphalt technical team in the industry and advocacy efforts.
Examples of specific job responsibilities, but are not limited to:
- Lead strategic and tier-1 asphalt customers’ technical support in the orbit , identify, develop and manage a portfolio of joint initiatives and projects, develop a position of trusted advisor in order to deploy differentiated customer support offer.
- Provide asphalt technical support to refineries & terminals to optimize the cost of goods, refinery manufacturing process, product testing and release, maintain Product Integrity (PI), investigate & analyze PI incidents, lead PI improvement initiatives, support manufacturing site product quality assessments.
- Develop technical advocacy positions consistent with sound science and company business strategies and represent Imperial and ExxonMobil in industry technical committees
- Work closely with the regional asphalt research laboratory team in Sarnia to develop technical solutions for manufacturing sites, customers, industry advocacy efforts, and internal teams (e.g. training materials, market research etc.)
- Graduation in Chemical, Civil, or Mechanical Engineering or Chemistry
- 5 to 10 years of professional experience (post-BSc) in asphalt technology in at least one of the following areas:
- Asphalt manufacturing (or other relevant refinery background) or asphalt terminal operations or asphalt specialty products (e.g. PMA, emulsions, roofing etc.) manufacturing
- Asphalt research or laboratory operations
- Asphalt product application: Pavement or mix design or asphalt mix production & pavement construction or roofing plant operations
- Asphalt marketing/sales technical support
- Additional experience in Lean/Six Sigma, rheology, polymer science/technology can be an asset
- Willing to relocate to other locations as career opportunities arise
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills
- Strong computer skills (Excel, SharePoint, Word, Power Point, etc.)
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and decision making skills.
Start date: June 2019
Location: Sarnia, ON
- A company committed to career growth - we recruit those who are interested in a career with Imperial and prefer to develop and promote people from within. Our career management process means that you will likely perform a number of unique, challenging roles during your career.
- Successful networking and mentoring programs - enables you to spend time with managers from across the organization to learn about other departments and opportunities. Also allows you to connect with peers at a similar experience level.
- Commitment to safety, ethics & continuous improvement - these standards are the reason Imperial is an industry leader. You will work for a company that upholds safety and ethics ideals and continues to seek out ways to improve.
- Exceptional benefits program - includes competitive savings, retirement, and healthcare plans that you can customize to meet your individual needs. A comprehensive relocation package is provided, if required. Educational and physical fitness financial assistance programs round out our benefits package.
- Continuous learning environment - encourages you to augment your skills and capabilities.
- Early Professional Development Program - provides you with the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of expertise or develop skills in a variety of different areas. You will quickly be given large areas of responsibility and will be encouraged to take on stretch assignments as you progress.
- Competitive vacation package - provides you with three weeks of vacation (the first year is pro-rated based on your hiring date) and one scheduled Friday off per month and four floating days annually for use at your discretion with approval.
- If you are talented, driven, and want to make meaningful contributions that really impact environmental, safety and bottom line objectives, then you owe it to yourself to apply with Imperial.
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial offers exciting opportunities across our upstream, downstream and chemical, and corporate divisions. We are committed to high standards, applying technology and innovation to meet energy demands in a safe, reliable and environmentally sound manner. No matter what your career path, we provide the platform to elevate your goals and achieve your ambitions, while providing support through wide-ranging programs and benefits.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
All applicants who receive an offer of employment must be eligible to work in Canada on their start date. Proof of eligibility shall be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence, Canadian open work permit or receipt from Immigration Canada of an application for a post-graduate work permit . Proof of eligibility must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility will be required if an offer of employment is made. Failure to provide proof of eligibility at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Application deadline: March 31, 2019