Fort McMurray, AB
About the Opportunity
Our new Fort McMurray office is looking to add a capable and enthusiastic Engineer-in-Training to our growing team of professionals in Fort McMurray and existing team in Edmonton in providing quality service to our clients in the Wood Buffalo Region. Civil and Environmental engineering is an integral part of our practice at Urban Systems. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in many communities. Assisting in the planning, design and consultation on several projects, you will be given as much freedom and responsibility as you demonstrate you are able to handle. In addition to the unmatched learning and project experience opportunities, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Honing your civil engineering skills and developing an understanding of best practices in a practical, real world setting.
- Applying theory and providing workable solutions related to the implementation of engineering work specifically regarding water distribution, wastewater collection, road design and general municipal engineering.
- Acting as the clients' representative on-site during construction to gather information, conduct quality assurance inspections of the work and ensure that designs are built to specifications.
- Providing accurate and timely input on technical reports, plans, studies, proposals and oral presentations as required.
- Preparing cost estimates and reviewing contracts.
- Proactively and professionally communicating with contractors, co-workers, clients and the general public.
- Various tasks and projects as required by a small office.
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
The right candidate for this opportunity will have graduated from a civil or environmental engineering degree program, have a year or two of work or co-op experience, be committed to providing great service to our internal and external clients and have a keen interest in municipal engineering. In addition, the following attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role:
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career in civil or environmental engineering and working with local municipalities, Indigenous communities and land developers in Alberta
- You possess an open attitude, with clear willingness to learn and flexibility for the role
- You are able to work on multiple projects and thrive in a self-directed work environment.
- You take initiative, are a problem solver and continually deliver consistent, high quality work
- You are suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Having the ability to listen to others and enjoying working with people
- Collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives
- Providing practical solutions to problems
- Working hard to deliver value to our clients
- Are able to travel to project sites within Alberta, as well as spend some time in our Edmonton office for core training opportunities
- Hold a valid class 5 drivers license
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Sunday, March 31st, 2019