Municipal Water & Wastewater Engineer
About the Opportunity
Municipal engineering is an integral part of our practice at Urban Systems, and we are looking for an experienced Water and Wastewater Engineer to join our Calgary team. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on a diverse range of challenging water and wastewater infrastructure projects that make a visible difference in many communities. Alongside our local professionals, you will share the lead in the design and construction phases of municipal potable water and wastewater projects. In addition, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Applying practical knowledge related to civil and facility process design and providing workable solutions to engineering problems on small scale and large multi-disciplinary projects.
- Preparing and certifying technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and oral presentations.
- Preparing and certifying construction plan drawings, construction details, specifications, cost estimates and contract documents.
- Working in multi-disciplinary project teams, and with Engineers-in-Training and Engineering Technologists in order to successfully deliver detailed design and construction projects for clients.
- Understanding applicable regulatory requirements related to, for example, works in and about water licensing, quality and wastewater effluent quality.
- Proactively and professionally communicating with co-workers, clients, contractors, regulators, and the general public.
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
- Undertaking work in a way that satisfies our Organizational Quality Management requirements.
The right candidate for this opportunity will possess a civil, mechanical or chemical engineering degree and has a keen interest in all aspects of water treatment, wastewater treatment, and/or water and wastewater facilities engineering. In addition, the following attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role:
- You have 5 to 9 years of progressive experience with an emphasis on municipal water and wastewater systems engineering and are already registered with APEGA.
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career in municipal water and wastewater engineering and working with all levels of government and private clients on projects primarily in Alberta.
- You have a broad understanding of relevant government and industry standards and their application to Water and Wastewater design.
- You are detail-oriented and take pride in the quality of your work.
- You can manage multiple objectives at the same time and thrive in a self-directed work environment.
- You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high quality work.
- You are well suited to working in a consulting environment with instincts for listening to and working collaboratively with other people of varying backgrounds and perspectives, providing practical solutions to problems, and working hard to deliver value to our clients
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
About Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: March 21st, 2019.