RIB Target & Ion Source Engineer
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
Our 500 MeV cyclotron provides the proton driver beams for the majority of TRIUMF's current on-site research programs, which include molecular and materials science and nuclear medicine, physics and astrophysics. There are two ISOL (Isotope Separator On-Line) facilities on-site. The ISAC facility has been producing and accelerating radioactive ion beams with the highest power driver beam in the world since 1999. The Advanced Rare IsotopE Laboratory (ARIEL) is currently under development and will expand TRIUMF's (and Canada's) capabilities to produce and study radioactive isotopes for cutting edge research. The Targets & Ion Sources (TIS) department encompasses a broad cross-section of the systems required for radioactive ion beam production: from target vessel design and development of target materials, to ion source R&D that spans from transfer lines or arc discharge ion sources, to laser spectroscopy and laser-atom interaction regions.
We are currently accepting applications for an early to mid-career level Engineer to play a leading role in the development, design and installation of the ARIEL RIB target stations and to participate in the commissioning of the AETE and APTW target stations. You will support the engineering knowledge and technology transfer between ISAC and ARIEL, and will contribute to the required developments for the ISAC/ARIEL ramp-up. You will also ultimately participate in the operation and development of targets and ion sources at the future combined ARIEL/ISAC facility. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading engineering projects and drafting project plans/schedules to support project management activities
- Establishing engineering requirements and specifications development for components and systems
- Creating and developing design concepts, specifying components and supervising detailed design and manufacture
- Supporting the development, installation and operation of offline target test facilities
- Conducting hands-on work for development, testing, maintenance and repair of equipment
You will also be required to successfully complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker.
As our ideal candidate, you are self-motivated with demonstrated initiative and attention to detail. You are an excellent communicator, and have proven project management, planning and organizational skills. Your other qualifications include:
- Deep, specific knowledge of mechanical design principles, finite element analysis and system engineering
- Experience in troubleshooting mechanical and/or electrical systems
- A good understanding of and experience with industrial safety
- A bachelors degree in a relevant engineering field such as mechanical, industrial, engineering physics or nuclear engineering and at least 4 years of relevant professional experience
While not required, the following would be considered a definite asset to your application: knowledge of vacuum techniques and systems, cooling systems and high voltage; beam instrumentation; experience with materials at high temperature or in high radiation fields and remote handling; and awarenesss of operational requirements of an accelerator facility.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 692
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until 2019-02-24
More search results
Civil Engineering Design Technologist – Land deve…
MountainCrest Personnel Inc.
Project Manager (Release Train Engineer)
IT/IQ Tech Recruiters
Lead Machine Learning Engineer
Computer Vision Engineer