Water Resources Engineer
About the Opportunity
Water resources engineering is an integral part of our practice at Urban Systems, and we are looking for an experienced Water Resource Engineer to join our Calgary team. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging water resource projects that make a visible difference in many communities. Assisting in the planning, design, and construction phases of projects, you will be given as much freedom and responsibilities as you demonstrate you are able to handle. In addition to the learning and project experience you will receive, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Developing your water resource engineering skills and your understanding of best practices in a practical, real world setting.
- Applying practical knowledge related to water resource, stormwater and drainage design and providing workable solutions to engineering problems on small scale and large multi-disciplinary projects.
- Preparing technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and oral presentations.
- Preparing construction plan drawings, construction details, specifications, cost estimates and contract documents.
- Carrying out hydrologic and hydraulic modelling and the design of municipal and highway drainage systems, including ditches, culverts, pipe systems, trap low, inlets, and detention ponds.
- Understanding applicable regulatory requirements related to, for example, works in and about water, and water licensing.
- Proactively and professionally communicating with co-workers, clients, contractors, regulators, and the general public.
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
- Undertaking work in a way that satisfies our Organizational Quality Management requirements.
The right candidate for this opportunity will be a graduate with a civil engineering degree and has a keen interest in all aspects of water resources, stormwater and drainage engineering. In addition, the following attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role.
- You have 4 to 8 years of progressive experience with an emphasis on drainage and water resources engineering and are either already registered with APEGA or are immediately eligible.
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career in water resources engineering and working with all levels of government and private clients on surface water projects primarily in Alberta.
- You are details oriented and take pride in the quality of your work.
- You have experience with hydrologic and hydraulic modelling tools, such as PCSWMM and XPSWMM.
- You can manage multiple objectives at the same time and thrive in a self-directed work environment.
- You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high quality work.
- You are well suited to working in a consulting environment with instincts for listening to and working collaboratively with other people of varying backgrounds and perspectives, providing practical solutions to problems, and working hard to deliver value to our clients.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
About Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: February 15th, 2019.
More search results
Manager - Acoustics Test Engineering
Shift Maintenance Engineer
Homewood Suites by Hilton
Electrical Utility Engineer
david aplin group
TRS Staffing Solutions
Water Operations Senior Process Engineer - Contin…
david aplin group