Manager, Network Planning- Power and Civil
Northwestel is a truly northern company. We employ more than 500 skilled northern workers to help in delivering telecommunications service to 96 communities across Canada’s North. Together, we are a diverse group of northerners, working to connect our communities through innovative communication solutions designed for life in the North.
We offer a wide range of career opportunities, including positions in information technology, network engineering, customer service, marketing, finance, and human resources.
Northwestel is recognized as one of Canada’s best employers for recent graduates. Joining our team means opportunities to grow through education and career development. Plus, competitive wages with a robust benefit package.
We also provide employees with mental health and wellness support tools, such as Telemedicine, Resilience counseling services, and more.
Start your career with Northwestel. Help us build a stronger North.
Northwestel. Our North. Our Home.
The Manager, Network Power and Civil Infrastructure Planning is responsible for establishing Northwestel's network investment plans so that they align with and enable the company's strategic direction and long term goals with respect to revenue, marketing of new products, technology adoption, network optimization and customer satisfaction. Working closely with the Senior Managers, and various Business Unit leaders as required, the Manager, Network Power and Civil Infrastructure Planning will ensure plans reflect timing and capability requirements of the business.
In addition to establishing mid range and long range (3 year and 5 year) power and civil infrastructure and evolution plans, this position will provide:
- 1 year network implementation plan that has the necessary capital allocated and detailed enough for implementation by the design and implementation teams
- comprehensive list of standards and approved technology choices that will be used by the design and implementation teams
Business Planning (80% of the Role)
- Develop mid-range and long range power and civil infrastructure (including buildings and roads) plans to support and align with Northwestel’s strategic direction (including its subsidiaries).
- Develop plans including descriptions of the underlying business need and solution, as well as a high-level estimated project plan including resourcing, cost, timeline, and business value.
- Assess technological business needs on a case by case basis, provide high level estimates of technology solutions for power and civil infrastructure and utilize that assessment to develop business cases for technological solutions. Include in business plans options for energy renewable power systems and building efficiency projects.
- Maintain technology database by approving devices for specific applications;
- Chairteam meetings with implementation managers related to power and civil infrastructure technological advancements
- Maintain, support and enforce technology approval process.
- Develop and monitor the capital plan, which has a 4-year view and is required to enable the mid-range network plans and the 12-month implementation plan.
- Contribute to strategic planning process and planning phases of power and civil projects in the organization,
- Provide architecture and technology direction to all power and civil related projects to ensure consistency and support of the mid and long range plans.
Capacity and Availability Management (10% of role)
- Manage DC and AC power capacity within the network and respond to site, space and power requests for new or existing clients.
- Lead the management of a database of all power system assets within the network.
- Work with operations team to review condition of buildings and roads to develop short and long range plans for cost savings.
- Provide support through Incident Management including assisting in resolution of any escalated incidents and resolution of reoccurring incidents or problems with the current network.
- Manage lifecycle of various assets including active monitoring of asset utilization, capacity tracking, optimization and repurposing and release management including patching and configuration.
Implementation (10% of the Role)
- Design and develop detailed plans according to company standards for capital projects.
- Develop installation specifications and detailed cost estimates.
- Develop support packages consisting of support procedures, training opportunities, spares and vendor support.
- Provide technical support to various projects and areas of the organization.
- Participate in change management including: Submittal of Requests For Change including Methods of Procedures and Roll Back plans for Network Changes associated with project work and participation in Change Advisory Board meetings as Subject Matter Experts
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
A Professional Engineer or can and will be registered/licensed as a Professional Engineer with a broad knowledge of power and building systems within the telecommunications industry; a minimum of 5 years practical experience in one or more of the subject areas; AC and DC power, building science, civil engineering; and an understanding of specific applications of telecommunications network technologies are required for this position. In addition, incumbents must possess strong computer literacy, project planning, interpersonal and teamwork skills. Business acumen, a "solution" orientation, and insight into the financial/economic aspects of the telecommunications industry are a definite asset.
As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
More search results
Energy Systems Coordinator
University of Toronto Scarborough Campus
Director of Operations Services
Halifax Regional Centre for Education
Senior Director, Infrastructure & Capital Projects
PFM Executive Search / Panorama Search Partners
Senior Approvals Engineer
Water Security Agency
City Engineer & Corporate Leader, Environmental P…
City of Windsor