Orano Canada (OCI) and the Orano Group are committed to establishing and maintaining integrated Process Safety Management into all operations including the McClean Lake operation which has numerous critical hazards. The Process Safety Manager will lead the development and implementation of PSM into all processes and procedures for McClean Lake. The Process Safety Manager will be directly supported by the VP, Safety, Environment and Engineering, the VP, Operations and the President and Chief Executive Officer.
Reporting to the VP, Safety, Environment and Engineering, this position is responsible for the following duties:
- Responsible for the development, implementation, compliance to and continued improvement of integrated Process Safety Management including compliance to Orano Group standards and government regulations.
- Nurture organizational growth by actively engaging and coaching employees on the importance and benefits of working safely.
- Foster organizational and partner knowledge through mentorship, coaching, and training for successful and sustained PSM integration for Operations, Maintenance, Technical, Line Management, and Contractor groups.
- Responsible for PSM metric generation, interpretation of data to identify problems and opportunities for improving process safety performance.
- Provide process safety expertise to Management of Change including construction of new facilities, modifications of operating facilities, exceptional operations, and dismantling existing facilities.
- Responsible for coordination of risk identification, assessment and management processes including, but not limited to, facility hazard studies, bow ties and critical controls management.
- Conduct incident investigation, report on incidents and manage the sharing of lessons learned from internal and external process safety events and near misses
- Conduct compliance audits for PSM integration and efficacy.
- Collaboratively build integrated environmental, health and safety management systems with engineering and program documentation and schedules to yield and maintain safe operating conditions and regulatory compliance.
Skills and Qualifications for the position include:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering is preferred; Specialization in Process Engineering would be considered an asset.
- 15 years industrial experience is required with a preference for the chemical industry.
- 10 years of experience in the field of process safety management is required.
- Experience in developing and deploying a PSM program at an industrial facility is required.
- Embraces a process safety culture and has experience with various OSHA or SEVESO DIRECTIVE PSM elements.
- A Process Safety Professional Certification (CCPSC) is considered an asset.
- Motivated individual capable of influencing various groups and experts
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to nurture and connect in a team environment and is self-sufficient
- Establish collaborative relationships built on trust and commitment at multiple levels
- Proficient in various qualitative and quantitative risk assessment methodologies
Work Location & Schedule:
- The position is based in Saskatoon with frequent missions to McClean Lake.
The safety of our employees and candidates is a top priority at Orano. Due to the unfolding circumstances of COVID-19 and the Government regulations in place to deal with the pandemic, the working location and/or schedule as advertised may be temporarily subject to change whilst the government regulations are in place. This is to ensure the health and safety of our workforce, and to implement effective social distancing measures. These changes if applicable will be discussed at the screening and interview stage.
As a condition of employment the successful candidate must complete Orano’s pre-employment checks including education verification and employment reference checks.
Drug (including marijuana) and alcohol substance testing is a requirement for all Safety Sensitive positions. Applicants who have recently used marijuana recreationally may not pass a substance test as marijuana can remain in the user’s system for as many as 30 days after use.
Orano is an equal opportunity employer. We value the knowledge, experience and cultures and commit to the advancement of Indigenous Peoples, Women, Visible Minorities and People with Disabilities and strongly encourage all candidates from these designated groups to apply for our career opportunities.