Senior Project Engineer
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- South Porcupine and Thunder Bay
- Job Category
- Job Type
The Regional Operations Division (ROD) of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry is accountable for the implementation and delivery of provincial resource management policy and programs on local and regional levels. We are looking for motivated individuals to provide civil engineering, contract administration, project management and water resource management services.
About the OPS
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the largest employers in the province, employing more than 60,000 people. Every day, we are modernizing government operations and improving public services. We have a wide range of meaningful and rewarding career opportunities in communities across Ontario. We welcome new ideas and new people, encourage learning and development, and reward achievement. No matter the position, we live the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
•Competitive compensation and benefits
• Flexible work arrangements including flexible hours, telework (remote work), compressed work week, or job sharing (if applicable)
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• We provide on-the-job training to support your success in the role
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• provide support to the Ministry's water management program (e.g. regulation of private dams under the Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act by inputting and enforcing policy and guidelines)
• inspect and report on the condition of a portfolio of over 300 dams, bridges and other infrastructure
• lead environmental assessment and design studies to upgrade Crown-owned infrastructure to provincial standards
• prepare tenders
• administer contracts with consulting engineering firms and contractors
• manage construction projects
Location: South Porcupine and Thunder Bay
How do I qualify?
• You are a Professional Engineer, licensed with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
• The position requires the successful candidate to have a valid class G driver's licence or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
Technical Expertise and Project Management Skills:
• You have demonstrated knowledge and experience in the application of civil engineering design and construction practices as applied to resource management such as hydrology and hydraulics, dam, bridges, flood control, shoreline development, docks, and erosion control.
• You have applied knowledge of project management principles, methodologies and practices to provide project management services for capital construction projects.
• You have demonstrated interpretative and problem-solving skills to review engineering aspects of development proposals, watercourse alterations, and flood emergency plans.
• You have proven ability to interpret and apply relevant federal and provincial legislation, regulations, technical guidelines and procedures to carry out detailed design, review or approval of hydropower facilities, dams, bridges, or shoreline protection projects.
Communication, Presentation and Consultative Skills:
• You can exhibit effective communication skills to provide engineering advice and legal testimony, and handle inquiries from staff and the public.
• You have demonstrated ability to prepare high-level written materials such as ministry comments and positions, briefing notes and correspondence on technical engineering issues.
Salary Range: $81,986.00 - $111,296.00 per year
· 2 Permanent, 5520 Hwy 101 E, South Porcupine, North Region
· 1 Permanent, 435 South James Street, Thunder Bay, North Region
However, pending the results of the competition, consideration will be given to the successful candidate to allow him/her to work out of one of the following District Offices (depending on the location of the successful candidate and operational needs):
•Northeast Region: South Porcupine, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, North Bay, Kirkland Lake, Cochrane, Hearst, Chapleau, Wawa
•Northwest Region: Thunder Bay, Kenora, Sioux Lookout, Fort Frances, Dryden, Nipigon
Due to COVID-19, remote work arrangements are currently in effect. However, attendance at the office will be required from time to time or as needed.
· The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply:
1. You must apply online by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers. You must enter the job id number in the Job ID search field to locate the job ad.
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
4. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
5. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
6. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 152496, by Friday, October 23, 2020. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Senior Manager, Engineering & Maintenance
DP WORLD CANADA
Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Thermo-Fluids as…
Queen's University, Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Discipline Engineer (Civil)/D’ingénieure civile
Public Services and Procurement Canada
Energy Efficiency Specialist