Distribution Engineer (Standards & Generation)
If you are a Professional Engineer with electrical distribution system experience, we invite you to join London Hydro as a Distribution Engineer (Standards & Generation).
Reporting to the Manager of Standards & Generation, and demonstrating your knowledge of utility procedures and distribution systems, you will share in the responsibilities for processing distributed generation projects, developing and maintaining equipment standards to comply with Reg. 22/04, meeting with manufacturers to solve issues, and handling other duties as assigned.
More specifically, as a Distribution Engineer (Standards & Generation), you will:
- Work with distributed generation (DG) developers, the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) and Hydro One to connect generation projects within the City of London.
- Review, track and collect appropriate documentation for the connection of DG.
- Collect and put together Connection Impact Assessment packages to go out for quotation.
- Participate in the development of system plans.
- Participate in the review, update and creation of new equipment standards, as needed, following Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) requirements and ensuring that all new equipment meets applicable codes, standards and regulations.
- Review and approve equipment drawings and test results.
- Develop and implement new technologies and streamline existing process flows.
- Certify drawings, specifications and other documents as a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
- Participate in professional and technical organizations related to electric utilities.
- Provide technical direction to technicians, technologists and field staff.
- Perform forensic analysis on failed equipment.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health & Safety Act rules and regulations, the E&USA rule book, London Hydro work practices and London Hydro’s Health & Safety Management System.
The qualified Distribution Engineer (Standards & Generation) we seek must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- P.Eng. designation with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) registration.
- At least 5 years of experience with an electrical distribution system.
- Strong leadership, management and supervisory skills.
- Familiarity with applicable standards and regulations, and common utility procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of medium-voltage distribution systems.
- Valid Class G driver's licence.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
For more information and to apply
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Friday, June 1, 2018, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Distribution Engineer (Standards & Generation) in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): email@example.com. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.